WFXG and WFXG.com has an immediate opening for a News Director to lead a dedicated team of journalists and photojournalists in beautiful Augusta, GA, home of the Masters golf tournament.
WFXG produces 30 plus hours of local television news each week and embraces a screen-agnostic approach to coverage through our website WFXG.com, two mobile apps, live streaming video and social media platforms.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of audience growth and will understand how to best utilize our social media and digital platforms to enhance our overall news image.
The primary responsibility of the News Director is to oversee all aspects of our news operation and ensure all WFXG journalists are timely, accurate, and unbiased in their reporting on all platforms. We are committed to excellence in journalism, and we seek someone who shares that expectation of excellence and can demonstrate their ability to lead strong teams. You’ll lead efforts to build, train, inspire and retain a top-notch staff of diverse, competitive, driven high-performers. You’ll need to be aggressive in adjusting resources to meet the demand of a shifting local news marketplace.
- Work with station and corporate management to set content and brand strategy with a focus on audience growth keeping General Manager informed of the status of all projects
- Inspire a team of journalists and production staff to meet a high standard of excellence in a highly competitive marketplace
- Embrace local news delivery through all available platforms
- Lead employee recruitment and retention efforts
- Analyze audience data and be willing to shift resources to address customer demands
- Develop strategies to improve the communities we serve through journalism and outreach
- Minimum 3 years of Assistant News Director, Executive Producer experience of increasing responsibility or equivalent news room experience
- Four-year degree in Journalism, English, Mass Communications or other applicable discipline required
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills with an emphasis on collaboration, setting expectations, accountability, managing conflict, decision-making, coaching and delegation
- Highly experienced with ENPS
- Strong broadcast and AP style writing skills for all platforms
- Strong command of journalism ethics and the tenets of professional journalism
- Competency with Microsoft Office applications, newsroom software, social media, camera equipment, and editing systems
- We’re a dynamic and progressive family-owned business that values our employees and our service to the communities in which we operate.
- Medical, dental, vision, prescription, and life insurance, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid time off (vacation, personal, holidays), paid parental leave, employee assistance program.
Interested candidates can apply to:
Mark Kurtz at [email protected]
No telephone calls please
Lockwood Broadcast Group and WFXG provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Pre-employment drug test is required along with a background screen as allowed by federal, state, and local laws and regulations.