BEECH ISLAND, SC (WFXG) - Update: The body found after a house fire in Beech Island has been identified.
The victim is James M. McKee. McKee is said to have lived with his mother in the home at the time of the fire. The Aiken County Coroner says that he died from thermal injuries and smoke inhalation, and was identified by past injuries which required identifiable metal implants in his neck area. A toxicology is pending, but his death has been ruled an accident.
The Aiken County Sheriff's Office is investigating a deadly fire in Beech Island.
At around 1:38 p.m., the sheriff's office received a 911 call about a fire on Bay Street. Deputies along with the Midland Valley Fire Department responded. Witnesses told first responders that there may be someone inside the home. North Augusta Public Safety, Langley Fire Department, GVW Fire Department, Aiken Public Safety, and Belvedere Fire Department all responded to assist with the fire.
As they worked to extinguish the flames, firefighters found a body inside the home. The Aiken County Coroner's Office will release the name of the victim once the family has been notified.
This investigation is still ongoing.