AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) - This week is National Park Week. Right here in Augusta, we have our very own national heritage area: The Augusta Canal.
The area holds over 2,000 acres of protected land and over 20 miles of trails for people to use. In addition, the industrial canal was build in 1845 and is still used for hydropower, drinking water and recreation.
To celebrate National Park Week, the canal is holding a social media contest with different themes each day. The National Park Service determines each days theme, with today being Earth Day.
- Monday: #Earthday Photo Challenge - Trees, plants, and greenery along the canal. Prize is a Canal Nature Guide
- Tuesday: #TransportationTuesday Photo Challenge - Canal boats, tour boats, kayaks, and canoes. Prize is tickets for a canal Petersburg boat tour.
- Wednesday: #WildWednesday Photo Challenge - Wildlife in and along the canal. Prize is an Augusta Canal Wildlife Guide.
- Thursday: #ThrowbackThursday Photo Challenge - Old photos of folks enjoying the canal “back in the day” or a selfie at a historic building or structure. Prize is a limited edition art print of a canal scene by Barbara Whetstone.
- Friday: #FriendshipFriday Photo Challenge - Friends enjoying or volunteering along the canal. Prize is Augusta Canal Keeper annual memberships.
- Saturday: #BarkRanger Photo Challenge - Dogs at the canal. Prize is a doggie plush toy.
- Sunday: #ParkRx Photo Challenge - Getting exercise along the canal. Prize is commemorative t-shirts.
Julianna Shurtleff, Development and Volunteer Coordinator with the Augusta Canal National Heritage Area says, “We’re trying to promote folks to go out on the trails, post pictures of themselves on the trail doing different things, and tag us in it. Each day, we will put their name in a raffle, pick 5, and you can win different prizes.”
The canal is also waiving admission fee to the discovery center on Greene St. this week.