The 1768 settlement of Wrightsborough. Georgia's only Quaker settlement and the southernmost point of Quaker migration in North America. All that remains today is the old Wrightsborough Church (c. 1810) and the adjoining cemetery.
The story of the Quaker colony at Wrightsborough, near present day Thomson, Georgia, begins in 1767 when Jonathan Sell and Joseph Maddock, both members of the Cane Creek Meeting in North Carolina, applied for land grants in the territory of Georgia. 12,000 acres were reserved for the Quakers provided at least 10 families settled on the land by February 1, 1768. In the event, they far exceeded the requirement: 40 families were in the first group, led by Joseph Maddock and Jonathan Sell. In fact so many settlers arrived in that first year that on December 6, 1768 Joseph Maddock, along with Jonathan Sell and Thomas Watson, asked for an additional grant.
Only the bare outlines of the once thriving town of Wrightsboro can now be seen. The old Quaker Meeting House burned down, but the small Methodist church that replaced it probably looks very much like the original meeting house. Some of the original pews from the old Quaker Meeting House remained after the fire and are located in the Methodist church.