SLED investigating officer-involved shooting in Edgefield

SLED investigating officer-involved shooting in Edgefield
Source: WFXG
Johnston Sports Club Pool Hall (WFXG)
Johnston Sports Club Pool Hall (WFXG)

EDGEFIELD, SC (WFXG/WIS) - A man of Johnston County lost his life in a shooting in Edgefield County Monday night.

A dispute led 63 year-old, Milledge Hall, being shot multiple times outside of Johnston Pool Hall.  It was a tragedy that left neighbors in shock."When I got over here and seen him laying on the ground it was just hard to believe that something like that could happen in our town," Kaigler said.

Kaigler said she was moving her car in the driveway when she heard the gunshots and went over. "I was at my home across the street and heard two gunshots and came running to the front yard and there was Milledge laying on the asphalt."

She says she's known Hall for decades, she said he was a great man and recently bought the pool hall. "I think this was something, this is where he would come in the evenings to unwind and just call it a day."

Now all that's left of him is the memory of that night. One of his best friends, Frankie Maddox, said life won't be the same without him. "He's gonna be missed I can tell you that."


The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) is investigating an officer-involved shooting in Edgefield that occurred at approximately 8:20 p.m. on Monday night.

It has been confirmed that a man was shot and wounded in a shootout with an Edgefield County deputy and an Edgefield police officer after a shooting at the Johnston Sports Club Pool Room. The Edgefield Coroner's office has confirmed the death was of Milledge Hall, 63.

The individual involved in that shooting reportedly left the scene.

A short time later, the suspect's vehicle was spotted by an Edgefield County deputy sheriff and an Edgefield City Police officer. They followed the suspect.

The suspect then pulled the vehicle off onto a dirt road, then open fired on the officers' vehicles as they approached. The officers returned fire, striking the individual several times.

The individual was then taken into custody and taken to Augusta University Medical Center, where he underwent surgery for multiple gunshot wounds and is recovering.

The two officers were not hurt. The officers recovered several weapons, including a rifle, from the individual who was taken into custody.

Stay tuned for more information as the story continues to develop.

Copyright 2018 WFXG. All rights reserved.