Cam Newton shares thoughts on officer-involved shooting, communi - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Cam Newton shares thoughts on officer-involved shooting, community reaction

(Ashley Stroehlein | WBTV) (Ashley Stroehlein | WBTV)
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

On a normal Wednesday we would be talking about what the Panthers are doing to prepare for their next match-up, but on Wednesday the tone was very different after the events that took place in Charlotte Tuesday night following the fatal officer-involved shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.

"My heart mourns for that family, I just don't know enough information at this specific time. When it happened I was here, and I've been here all day so I just don't know enough," Cam Newton said at a press conference Wednesday.

Newton said when it comes to speaking on these types of issues, he feels no matter what he says he is going to be criticized. However, he was still very open on his thoughts.

"The place that I stand sometimes is a lose-lose," Newton said. "You say something in one sense and everybody is saying, 'you're a traitor.' You say something in another sense and, 'oh, he's just too real,' and you can't necessarily say that. So I'm in a position now where it's like you know if I say something it's ok to be critiqued, and if I don't say something, 'oh, you fake and you're flawed.' I'm firm believer of justice and doing the right thing, and I can't repeat it enough of just holding people accountable."

"It could've happened in Atlanta, in Los Angeles, it doesn't matter," Newton continued. "It's embarrassing for things to just keep happening."

Newton, who has been a resident of Charlotte since 2011, said he has many goals for uniting the Carolinas.

"One thing I wanted to do is bring the passion to the Carolinas," he said. "From my community, the black community, to the white community - football gives me that opportunity."

When it comes to how other athletes like Colin Kaepernick use their platform, Newton said, "I salute Colin Kaepernick for his stand for what he stands for, but at the end of the day I also can make a stand in my own right. That's why I have a foundation, and I've been trying to do anything and everything to bring the city of Charlotte, or wherever that I'm around, that can impact it in a positive way. And I'm hoping people see that and do the same thing."

Copyright 2016 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Angry soldier's widow says Trump didn't know husband's name

Monday, October 23 2017 9:04 AM EDT2017-10-23 13:04:12 GMT
    Monday, October 23 2017 8:35 PM EDT2017-10-24 00:35:09 GMT
    President Donald Trump is defending his call to a fallen soldier's widow, saying he was "respectful" and used his name "without hesitation." Trump addressed the call on Twitter Monday after Myeshia Johnson appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America.More >>

Trump shoots down retirement limit to pay for GOP tax cuts

Monday, October 23 2017 3:44 AM EDT2017-10-23 07:44:06 GMT
    Monday, October 23 2017 8:34 PM EDT2017-10-24 00:34:57 GMT

Trump on Sunday personally implored House GOP members on a conference call to swiftly adopt the budget that was passed last week by the Senate, with the hope of clearing the way for what he described as historic tax cuts.

Judge: Trump's health care cuts don't pose immediate threat

Monday, October 23 2017 5:23 AM EDT2017-10-23 09:23:58 GMT
    Monday, October 23 2017 8:34 PM EDT2017-10-24 00:34:45 GMT

State attorneys general argue the monthly payments are required under former President Barack Obama's health care law and cutting them off will harm consumers.