Cam Newton shares thoughts on officer-involved shooting, communi - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Cam Newton shares thoughts on officer-involved shooting, community reaction

(Ashley Stroehlein | WBTV) (Ashley Stroehlein | WBTV)
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

On a normal Wednesday we would be talking about what the Panthers are doing to prepare for their next match-up, but on Wednesday the tone was very different after the events that took place in Charlotte Tuesday night following the fatal officer-involved shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.

"My heart mourns for that family, I just don't know enough information at this specific time. When it happened I was here, and I've been here all day so I just don't know enough," Cam Newton said at a press conference Wednesday.

Newton said when it comes to speaking on these types of issues, he feels no matter what he says he is going to be criticized. However, he was still very open on his thoughts.

"The place that I stand sometimes is a lose-lose," Newton said. "You say something in one sense and everybody is saying, 'you're a traitor.' You say something in another sense and, 'oh, he's just too real,' and you can't necessarily say that. So I'm in a position now where it's like you know if I say something it's ok to be critiqued, and if I don't say something, 'oh, you fake and you're flawed.' I'm firm believer of justice and doing the right thing, and I can't repeat it enough of just holding people accountable."

"It could've happened in Atlanta, in Los Angeles, it doesn't matter," Newton continued. "It's embarrassing for things to just keep happening."

Newton, who has been a resident of Charlotte since 2011, said he has many goals for uniting the Carolinas.

"One thing I wanted to do is bring the passion to the Carolinas," he said. "From my community, the black community, to the white community - football gives me that opportunity."

When it comes to how other athletes like Colin Kaepernick use their platform, Newton said, "I salute Colin Kaepernick for his stand for what he stands for, but at the end of the day I also can make a stand in my own right. That's why I have a foundation, and I've been trying to do anything and everything to bring the city of Charlotte, or wherever that I'm around, that can impact it in a positive way. And I'm hoping people see that and do the same thing."

Copyright 2016 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Southwest Airlines sought more time for engine inspections

Thursday, April 19 2018 1:02 AM EDT2018-04-19 05:02:22 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 5:37 PM EDT2018-04-19 21:37:02 GMT
    (NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...(NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...

The Federal Aviation Administration's announcement late Wednesday comes nearly a year after the engine's manufacturer recommended the additional inspections, and a month after European regulators ordered their airlines to do the work.

Lance Armstrong settles $100M lawsuit with US government

Thursday, April 19 2018 4:32 PM EDT2018-04-19 20:32:44 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 5:36 PM EDT2018-04-19 21:36:17 GMT
    (Bernard Papon/Pool Photo via AP, File). FILE - In this July 24, 2004, file pool photo, overall leader Lance Armstrong, right, of Austin, Texas, follows compatriot and teammate Floyd Landis, left, in the ascent of the La Croix Fry pass during the 17th ...(Bernard Papon/Pool Photo via AP, File). FILE - In this July 24, 2004, file pool photo, overall leader Lance Armstrong, right, of Austin, Texas, follows compatriot and teammate Floyd Landis, left, in the ascent of the La Croix Fry pass during the 17th ...
    Lance Armstrong has reached a$5 million settlement with the federal government in a civil whistleblower lawsuit that could have sought $100 million in damages from the former cyclist.More >>

Minecraft aiming to use ocean update to restore real coral reefs

Thursday, April 19 2018 5:16 PM EDT2018-04-19 21:16:26 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 5:16 PM EDT2018-04-19 21:16:26 GMT
    Minecraft was first released in 2009. (Source: Minecraft)Minecraft was first released in 2009. (Source: Minecraft)

The popular world-building computer game has announced an initiative to place Biorock reef regeneration structures in waters off Mexico.