High 5 4 Kids: Beleil Lamb - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

High 5 4 Kids: Beleil Lamb

• Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Westinghouse bankruptcy could create problems for Plant Vogtle

Thursday, March 30 2017 12:36 AM EDT2017-03-30 04:36:06 GMT
    Toshiba, the owner of Westinghouse, intends to sell the company; WFXG.Toshiba, the owner of Westinghouse, intends to sell the company; WFXG.

A bankruptcy could create more problems for the over-budget and over-due reactors at Plant Vogtle. Westinghouse the primary contractor for reactors three and four at Plant Vogtle declared bankruptcy Wednesday morning.

UPDATE: Dead man found in Knights Inn hotel room identified

Thursday, March 30 2017 12:45 PM EDT2017-03-30 16:45:25 GMT
    Knights Inn on Deans Bridge Road (WFXG)Knights Inn on Deans Bridge Road (WFXG)

The victim found Thursday morning in a room of the Knights Inn on Deans Bridge Road has been identified. The Richmond County Coroner's Office has identified the man as sixty-eight-year-old Obajalaiye Ifaghbemro of 15th Street in Augusta.

FOX 54 breaks down 2017 Masters traffic plan

Thursday, March 30 2017 4:25 AM EDT2017-03-30 08:25:53 GMT
    WFXGWFXG

Masters is just days away and traffic always comes along with the tournament. Traffic Engineer Steve Cassell says he and his team have made a few changes this year to ease the pain.

AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) -

This week's "High 5 4 Kids" award goes to a bright young man who is heading to the top. He's an academic scholar, athlete and an overall leader in his community.

"As an African American young male, I have the potential to do great things," Beleil Lamb said. "I just hate to see people throw that away. So my motivation is just doing the best you can."

And his hard work is paying off. Lamb is a rising sophomore at A.R. Johnson.

"I've been a great student, a good student, but this year I want to be stellar and do the best that I can," said Lamb.

Lamb has been a member of the Boys and Girls Club for about four years. He said getting involved with the organization has truly changed his life.

"The Boys and Girls Club did save me," Lamb said. "I wasn't on downward spiral, but I was still having trouble and it did change me so I really appreciate that."

He's had a lot of opportunities through the club. And those are preparing him for an amazing future.

"Most people think, they go in there, they play basketball, dodgeball and stuff. So much more than that," Lamb said. "You learn to succeed. You have career launch, money matters, you have classes. It's not boring, it's not lame but it's fun and you learn new things."

A large amount of his support comes from his family and making them proud is truly rewarding.

"Anytime that I do something out of place," Lamb said. "They are extra, extra hard on me because they know that I can do so much better."

Lamb has a 3.6 GPA and is working to graduate at the top of his class in 2019.

"I want multiple opportunities," Lamb said. "By the time I graduate, I want multiple scholarships and recommendations. Being an outstanding student at a young age is the way to get there."

Beleil hopes to attend either Yale or Georgia Tech to study chemical engineering, or possibly psychology.

Copyright 2016 WFXG. All rights reserved.

• More on WFXG.comMore>>

China's Xi to meet Trump, who predicts 'difficult' meeting

Thursday, March 30 2017 8:36 PM EDT2017-03-31 00:36:09 GMT
    Thursday, March 30 2017 8:36 PM EDT2017-03-31 00:36:09 GMT

China says President Xi Jinping will meet his U.S. counterpart Donald Trump at the latter's Florida resort next Thursday and Friday.

Flynn offers to testify in Russia probe for immunity, report says

Thursday, March 30 2017 7:27 PM EDT2017-03-30 23:27:55 GMT
    Thursday, March 30 2017 8:30 PM EDT2017-03-31 00:30:50 GMT

Former national security adviser Michael Flynn told the Federal Bureau of Investigation he would testify about possible Russian ties with the Trump campaign in exchange for immunity.

PGA HOPE Program aims to bring together Veterans dealing with PTSD

Thursday, March 30 2017 8:17 PM EDT2017-03-31 00:17:16 GMT
    It's a startling statistic but the VA estimates that 20 veterans commit suicide every day. And 10-percent of all vets will suffer from PTSD.  Right here in the CSRA, the VA Center and PGA "Hope Program" encourages veterans to relax with the game of golf.  Despite the gloomy forecast today, veterans made their way onto Jones Creek Golf Course for a session on the links. "I get out here Maybe twice a week now and that's a great thing for me to do is just...More >>