High 5 4 Kids: Shaniya Blockett - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

High 5 4 Kids: Shaniya Blockett

LINCOLN COUNTY, GA (WFXG) -

One local high schooler is getting a new experience and who knows, you might just see her on TV with us one day.

After six years, T W Josey has brought back a program that allows kids to be creative and explore broadcasting.

"This is something new to Josey and I think this would help people do something different," Shaniya Blockett said.

It's a unique task that doesn't happen overnight.
Students at T W Josey High School were introduced to a new course this year allowing them to explore the many areas of broadcasting.

"One day I may want to be a producer, you never know and it's helping me with that," Blockett said.

But she's more than a face for her peers.

"My grades are very important to me," Blockett said.

Shaniya has managed to maintain a three point five grade point average and is ranked second in her class.

"Sometimes you have to stay up late nights maybe after 12 o'clock to finish your homework or turn in assignments that you didn't do," Blockett said. "Or even stay after school."

That may sound a bit extreme, but Shaniya understands what needs to be done in order to finish on top.

"I'm really trying to get a scholarship for my academics," Blockett said.

Although she is testing out different career paths, it's the little things that she will learn from this course that will push her to achieve more.

"I kind of twiddle my fingers a lot when I get nervous," Blockett said. "So I just have to focus my energy somewhere else. And I also think that doing this will help me get over my stage fright."

Copyright 2015 WFXG. All rights reserved.

• More on WFXG.comMore>>

Trump fires off explosive threat to Iran's leader

Monday, July 23 2018 12:35 AM EDT2018-07-23 04:35:01 GMT
    Monday, July 23 2018 3:46 AM EDT2018-07-23 07:46:14 GMT

Trump has a history of firing off heated tweets that seem to quickly escalate long-standing disputes with leaders of nations at odds with the U.S.

1 killed, 14 shot along busy Toronto street; shooter dead

Sunday, July 22 2018 11:44 PM EDT2018-07-23 03:44:54 GMT
    Monday, July 23 2018 3:20 AM EDT2018-07-23 07:20:35 GMT

Police have not yet released information on the suspect or a possible motive.

Police have not yet released information on the suspect or a possible motive.

Inspector warned duck boat company of design flaws last year

Saturday, July 21 2018 6:13 PM EDT2018-07-21 22:13:06 GMT
    Monday, July 23 2018 3:07 AM EDT2018-07-23 07:07:32 GMT
    (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel). People view a row of idled duck boats in the parking lot of Ride the Ducks Saturday, July 21, 2018 in Branson, Mo. One of the company's duck boats capsized Thursday night resulting in several deaths on Table Rock Lake.(AP Photo/Charlie Riedel). People view a row of idled duck boats in the parking lot of Ride the Ducks Saturday, July 21, 2018 in Branson, Mo. One of the company's duck boats capsized Thursday night resulting in several deaths on Table Rock Lake.

Since 1999, duck boats have been linked to the deaths of more than 40 people, with a troubled safety record on the road and water alike.