High 5 4 Kids: Shaniya Blockett - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

High 5 4 Kids: Shaniya Blockett

• Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Westinghouse bankruptcy could create problems for Plant Vogtle

Thursday, March 30 2017 12:36 AM EDT2017-03-30 04:36:06 GMT
    Toshiba, the owner of Westinghouse, intends to sell the company; WFXG.Toshiba, the owner of Westinghouse, intends to sell the company; WFXG.

A bankruptcy could create more problems for the over-budget and over-due reactors at Plant Vogtle. Westinghouse the primary contractor for reactors three and four at Plant Vogtle declared bankruptcy Wednesday morning.

UPDATE: Dead man found in Knights Inn hotel room identified

Thursday, March 30 2017 12:45 PM EDT2017-03-30 16:45:25 GMT
    Knights Inn on Deans Bridge Road (WFXG)Knights Inn on Deans Bridge Road (WFXG)

The victim found Thursday morning in a room of the Knights Inn on Deans Bridge Road has been identified. The Richmond County Coroner's Office has identified the man as sixty-eight-year-old Obajalaiye Ifaghbemro of 15th Street in Augusta.

FOX 54 breaks down 2017 Masters traffic plan

Thursday, March 30 2017 4:25 AM EDT2017-03-30 08:25:53 GMT
    WFXGWFXG

Masters is just days away and traffic always comes along with the tournament. Traffic Engineer Steve Cassell says he and his team have made a few changes this year to ease the pain.

LINCOLN COUNTY, GA (WFXG) -

One local high schooler is getting a new experience and who knows, you might just see her on TV with us one day.

After six years, T W Josey has brought back a program that allows kids to be creative and explore broadcasting.

"This is something new to Josey and I think this would help people do something different," Shaniya Blockett said.

It's a unique task that doesn't happen overnight.
Students at T W Josey High School were introduced to a new course this year allowing them to explore the many areas of broadcasting.

"One day I may want to be a producer, you never know and it's helping me with that," Blockett said.

But she's more than a face for her peers.

"My grades are very important to me," Blockett said.

Shaniya has managed to maintain a three point five grade point average and is ranked second in her class.

"Sometimes you have to stay up late nights maybe after 12 o'clock to finish your homework or turn in assignments that you didn't do," Blockett said. "Or even stay after school."

That may sound a bit extreme, but Shaniya understands what needs to be done in order to finish on top.

"I'm really trying to get a scholarship for my academics," Blockett said.

Although she is testing out different career paths, it's the little things that she will learn from this course that will push her to achieve more.

"I kind of twiddle my fingers a lot when I get nervous," Blockett said. "So I just have to focus my energy somewhere else. And I also think that doing this will help me get over my stage fright."

Copyright 2015 WFXG. All rights reserved.

• More on WFXG.comMore>>

Flynn offers to testify in Russia probe for immunity, report says

Thursday, March 30 2017 7:27 PM EDT2017-03-30 23:27:55 GMT
    Thursday, March 30 2017 8:26 PM EDT2017-03-31 00:26:53 GMT

Former national security adviser Michael Flynn told the Federal Bureau of Investigation he would testify about possible Russian ties with the Trump campaign in exchange for immunity.

PGA HOPE Program aims to bring together Veterans dealing with PTSD

Thursday, March 30 2017 8:17 PM EDT2017-03-31 00:17:16 GMT
    It's a startling statistic but the VA estimates that 20 veterans commit suicide every day. And 10-percent of all vets will suffer from PTSD.  Right here in the CSRA, the VA Center and PGA "Hope Program" encourages veterans to relax with the game of golf.  Despite the gloomy forecast today, veterans made their way onto Jones Creek Golf Course for a session on the links. "I get out here Maybe twice a week now and that's a great thing for me to do is just...More >>

Fire causes I-85 overpass to collapse in Atlanta

Thursday, March 30 2017 7:36 PM EDT2017-03-30 23:36:07 GMT
    Thursday, March 30 2017 7:52 PM EDT2017-03-30 23:52:43 GMT

Witnesses say troopers were telling cars to turn around on the bridge because they were concerned about its integrity before its collapse.