AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) - Seven people were arrested on marijuana charges Thursday after a high-speed chase ended in a crash, damaging two Richmond County Sheriff's Office vehicles.
Narcotics investigators were looking into a group of people distributing high-grade marijuana on the 100 block of Telfair Street, Sgt. Glen Rahn said. Investigators saw two people, later identified as Charlie Carter Jr., 24, and Carl Boyd, 24, flee in a vehicle with several pounds of marijuana.
Deputies started pursuing the vehicle, which was driven by Carter. During the pursuit, Carter's vehicle struck an unmarked Richmond County patrol car, causing Carter to lose control and run into a telephone pole. The pole fell and struck a marked Richmond County patrol car.
After the wreck, investigators searched a residence and found a large amount of cash, a handgun and a large quantity of marijuana.
A total of 8.3 pounds of marijuana, approximately $5,000 in cash, a firearm and a vehicle were seized.
The following people were arrested:
- Jamal Joseph, 23, of Augusta, Ga. – marijuana with intent to distribute
- Brazil Williams, 21, of Oakland, Calif. – marijuana with intent to distribute
- Marquies Burton, 25, of Oakland, Calif. – marijuana with intent to distribute
- Carl Boyd, 24, of Aiken, S.C. – marijuana with intent to distribute
- Bobby Johnson, 29, Monetta, S.C. – marijuana with intent to distribute
- Dytron Hunter, 24, Aiken, S.C. – marijuana with intent to distribute, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, felony obstruction
- Charlie Carter Jr., 24, Jackson, S.C. – marijuana with intent to distribute, fleeing with an attempt to elude, reckless driving, failure to maintain