Hephzibah Middle School evacuated due to gas leak

HEPHZIBAH, GA (WFXG) - Hephzibah Middle School students are preparing to return to class after they were evacuated Friday morning due to a gas leak.

Authorities responded before 8 a.m. after a leaky valve on the roof caused a gas smell, said Dee Griffin, spokesperson for the Augusta Fire Department. The students and staff were moved to Hephzibah High School.

Officials have secured the middle school, and students will return to class at 10 a.m.

Copyright 2014 WFXG. All rights reserved.