AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) - Students returned to Warren Road Elementary around 1 p.m. Wednesday after the school was evacuated earlier in the day due to the smell of gas in the building.
Crews initially thought that it was a gas leak, but now say that the smell could have come from another source, said Dee Griffin, public information officer for the fire department.
The Augusta Fire Department responded around 11:30 a.m. The children were sent to Good News Church at 400 Warren Road, which is within walking distance of the school.
A gas company was called to the school, and Augusta firefighters will remain at the school as a precaution until the problem is fixed.