High 5 4 kids: Devonta Sims - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

High 5 4 kids: Devonta Sims

AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) -

To be able to do things that he was never expected to do again makes his recovery all the more special.

In April, Devonta Sims was crossing Gordon Highway with his cousin when a vehicle struck them, followed by two other vehicles.

"It hit me, and I like looked back," Sims said, "and then there was nothing there and then next thing you know I took another step and then it just…and I was in the air and my eyes open and then I came back down and then I was out."

His cousin was pronounced dead at the scene, and Devonta left with serious injuries.

"Well the doctors was saying it was like crucial because I was thinking he wasn't going to make much progress so quick," Devonta's aunt, Arlene Modest said.

Doctors gave him a year to recover, and he had a lot to accomplish.

"He had to go learn how to do a lot of things all over again like using the bathroom, dressing himself, eating," Modest said.

But against all odds, he is back in action and getting back to what he loves the most - sports.

"I had to go to therapy every week," Sims said, "and I had to do exercises, and I had to stay off my leg. Well, I had to try to stay off my leg."

It was all worth it because you can catch Devontae this football season playing for Murphey Middle School.

"I love to play sports and at the time I was thinking that I wasn't going to be able to start playing sports again," Sims said.

"It's a miracle that he's still here and it's a blessing as well," Modest said.

And a miracle he is, his determination to recover makes him this week's High 5 4 Kids winner.

By the way, police are still looking for the people responsible for the hit-and-run. If you know anything that may help them identify the drivers, call the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at 706-821-1080 or 706-821-1020.

Copyright 2014 WFXG. All rights reserved.

Texas school gunman: 'I'm going to kill you.' Then he fired

Saturday, May 19 2018 11:51 PM EDT2018-05-20 03:51:30 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 7:34 AM EDT2018-05-20 11:34:03 GMT
    (Jennifer Reynolds/The Galveston County Daily News via AP). April Salinas, second from right, her daughters Meah, 13, and Macee, 6, and Jeramiah Kelley read notes left at memorial behind Texas First Bank, Saturday, May 19, 2018 in Santa Fe, Texas. A gu...(Jennifer Reynolds/The Galveston County Daily News via AP). April Salinas, second from right, her daughters Meah, 13, and Macee, 6, and Jeramiah Kelley read notes left at memorial behind Texas First Bank, Saturday, May 19, 2018 in Santa Fe, Texas. A gu...

The mother of one slain student said her daughter may have been targeted because she rejected advances from the suspect, who was an ex-boyfriend of her daughter's best friend.

Airline passenger accused of punching deaf pregnant woman, service dog

Sunday, May 20 2018 6:57 AM EDT2018-05-20 10:57:56 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 6:57 AM EDT2018-05-20 10:57:56 GMT
    The case was turned over to the FBI, who are still determining if charges will be filed. (Source: Family photos/WKMG/CNN)The case was turned over to the FBI, who are still determining if charges will be filed. (Source: Family photos/WKMG/CNN)

New Starbucks policy: No purchase needed to sit in cafes

Saturday, May 19 2018 1:10 PM EDT2018-05-19 17:10:57 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 6:53 AM EDT2018-05-20 10:53:47 GMT
    New policy at Starbucks: No purchase needed to sit, use restrooms. (Source: Pixabay)New policy at Starbucks: No purchase needed to sit, use restrooms. (Source: Pixabay)

New policy at Starbucks: No purchase needed to sit, use restrooms.

New policy at Starbucks: No purchase needed to sit, use restrooms.