High 5 4 kids: Devonta Sims - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

High 5 4 kids: Devonta Sims

AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) -

To be able to do things that he was never expected to do again makes his recovery all the more special.

In April, Devonta Sims was crossing Gordon Highway with his cousin when a vehicle struck them, followed by two other vehicles.

"It hit me, and I like looked back," Sims said, "and then there was nothing there and then next thing you know I took another step and then it just…and I was in the air and my eyes open and then I came back down and then I was out."

His cousin was pronounced dead at the scene, and Devonta left with serious injuries.

"Well the doctors was saying it was like crucial because I was thinking he wasn't going to make much progress so quick," Devonta's aunt, Arlene Modest said.

Doctors gave him a year to recover, and he had a lot to accomplish.

"He had to go learn how to do a lot of things all over again like using the bathroom, dressing himself, eating," Modest said.

But against all odds, he is back in action and getting back to what he loves the most - sports.

"I had to go to therapy every week," Sims said, "and I had to do exercises, and I had to stay off my leg. Well, I had to try to stay off my leg."

It was all worth it because you can catch Devontae this football season playing for Murphey Middle School.

"I love to play sports and at the time I was thinking that I wasn't going to be able to start playing sports again," Sims said.

"It's a miracle that he's still here and it's a blessing as well," Modest said.

And a miracle he is, his determination to recover makes him this week's High 5 4 Kids winner.

By the way, police are still looking for the people responsible for the hit-and-run. If you know anything that may help them identify the drivers, call the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at 706-821-1080 or 706-821-1020.

Copyright 2014 WFXG. All rights reserved.

Ample tax cuts for business, wealthy in new GOP tax accord

Thursday, December 14 2017 3:54 AM EST2017-12-14 08:54:53 GMT
    Thursday, December 14 2017 5:08 AM EST2017-12-14 10:08:02 GMT

Generous tax cuts for corporations and the wealthiest Americans would be delivered in a sweeping overhaul of the tax laws, under a new agreement crafted by Republicans in Congress.

Caught on camera: Man strips naked in road rage incident

Thursday, December 14 2017 4:11 AM EST2017-12-14 09:11:18 GMT
    Thursday, December 14 2017 4:11 AM EST2017-12-14 09:11:18 GMT

After crashing into two cars, a man assaulted one of the other drivers, stripped naked and jumped onto a truck bed, leaving witnesses bewildered.

(Source: WJLA/Tony Knick/Broadcastify/Nina Johns)

(Source: WJLA/Tony Knick/Broadcastify/Nina Johns)

Bombing underscores New York subway system's vulnerability

Wednesday, December 13 2017 12:36 AM EST2017-12-13 05:36:50 GMT
    Thursday, December 14 2017 4:09 AM EST2017-12-14 09:09:59 GMT

A Bangladeshi immigrant is expected to appear before a federal magistrate to face terrorism charges accusing him of setting off an explosive strapped to his body in a New York City transportation hub.