Homeowner speaks out after nearly fatal house fire

Homeowner speaks out after nearly fatal house fire

GRANITEVILLE, SC (WFXG) - A woman whose home was destroyed in a fire almost a week ago is speaking out for the first time since the incident.

Amanda Williams watched her house go up in flames a week ago in what is now being deemed an electrical fire. She said getting through this won't be easy, but if it weren't for one man, she's not sure if her and her daughter would even be here.

"I see it as he's our hero, and he's the one who saved my little girl," Williams said.

Amanda and two-year-old daughter Teagan were asleep Sunday night when Amanda woke up to an odd noise, and a scary sight.

"I heard this loud banging on the side of the house and this man yelling 'Don't go out the front door, don't go out the front door!' I open my bedroom door and the whole front of our house is lit up bright orange from the flames," she said.

A fire caused by an electrical spark destroyed the home and virtually everything in it. but Amanda says the night of the fire was a blur.

"It comes back in flashes and I don't sleep well at night. I have her in bed with me because I can't have her more than five feet away before I have a panic attack or something like that," Amanda said. 

A man was driving by the house when he saw the fire and jumped out of his car to help, something Amanda says is restores her faith in humanity.

"He took the risk of running into our yard past our flaming porch to get us out of the house," she said.

Amanda has been back to the house to look at the damage, but took us on a walk through to see first hand just how bad it was. She says the hardest room to see is her daughter's.

"It still gives me chills looking at her room. I have a hard time going in her room. The rest of the house doesn't bother me as much, but it's her room that makes me want to vomit because, I mean, I was so close to loosing her," Amanda said as she looked at the house.

For Amanda, this experience has changed her outlook on life.

"I was somewhat of a negative person before this and now I'm just like, I look at the world as everyday is special," she said.

Amanda's friends and family have given her some help, but we're asking anyone who can to help Amanda and Teagan. Amanda wears a size 6.5 shoe, medium to large shirt, and size 8-10 in pants. Her daughter Teagan wears clothes in the size 2-3 teeth and her shoes are a kids size 7.

If anyone has any clothes, toys. or house appliances they would like to donate to the family, you can drop them off at the WFXG Fox 54 station located at 3933 Washington Road.

You can also help  the Williams family through a Go-Fund-Me account set up by their friends by clicking here.

Copyright 2014 WFXG. All rights reserved.