Cigarettes cause fire at Augusta house - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Cigarettes cause fire at Augusta house

AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) -

An Augusta home caught on fire Friday morning after lit cigarettes were left on a mattress, according to the Augusta Fire Department. 

Firefighters responded to a report of smoke at a single-family home at 3445 Wayside Drive around 8:30 a.m. The people inside the house made it out safely, but there were still several animals inside. 

Firefighters rescued three puppies, two cats and three newborn kittens. 

The smoke started when lit cigarettes were placed and a mattress and clothes were piled on top of those cigarettes. The mattress was destroyed. 

Smoke damage was contained to one room of the house, according to the fire department. Three residents were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene. No serious injuries were reported.

Copyright 2014 WFXG. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by Frankly