Seed scattered over 1,220 acres burned in San Juan Fire - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

UPDATE

Seed scattered over 1,220 acres burned in San Juan Fire

(Source: Unnamed CBS 5 viewer) (Source: Unnamed CBS 5 viewer)
(Source: Carol Field) (Source: Carol Field)
(Source: Monica Chavez) (Source: Monica Chavez)
(Source: Sharon Clark) (Source: Sharon Clark)
(Source: Eric Neitzel) (Source: Eric Neitzel)
VERNON, AZ (CBS5) -

Crews are working to restore the 1,220 acres in the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest that were damaged by the San Juan Fire earlier this summer.

The San Juan Fire Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER) said their efforts are nearly finished.

Last week, crews performed aerial seeding of 60,000 pounds of sterile barley and native seed mix over the 1,220 acres burned south of Vernon, AZ.

BAER spokesman Paul Brown said the grass seed mix can sprout quickly and develop roots to reduce soil erosion.

BAER crews have also removed hazardous trees, stabilized roads, set up warning signs and installed gates.

The nearly 7,000-acre fire straddling the Fort Apache Indian Reservation and the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest in the White Mountains was reported just before 12 p.m. June 26.

The fire grew from an initial 100 acres to 2,000 acres by 5 p.m. that day, according to officials with Apache Sitgreaves National Forest and mandatory evacuations were ordered. More than 600 personnel were assigned to fight the fire that is believed to be human-caused.

According to the White Mountain Independent, between 200 to 300 Boy Scouts from Gilbert were in the White Mountains when the fire started.

Matthew Wright was with the group and an additional 100 adults and chaperones who were camping in the area. A group of them split off and headed for a ridge at about 9,000 feet and noticed the smoke. They then went back to base camp and told the others it was time to go.

"Our base camp kids, 12- to 13-year-olds, were still at base camp only about four miles from the fire, and it was encroaching," he said. "We were 11 miles away from them, the 14- through 18-year-olds and the leaders, so we had to get back into our vehicles, repack canoes, get rappelling equipment, (do a) head count before we could leave. We had to leave in phases."

Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved. 

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Trump administration sanctions 271 in Syrian chemical attack

    Trump administration sanctions 271 in Syrian chemical attack

    Monday, April 24 2017 6:57 PM EDT2017-04-24 22:57:14 GMT
    Monday, April 24 2017 6:57 PM EDT2017-04-24 22:57:14 GMT

    U.S. officials say the Trump administration will issue new sanctions against Syria as early as Monday as part of its ongoing crackdown on the Syrian government and those who support it.

    More >>

    U.S. officials say the Trump administration will issue new sanctions against Syria as early as Monday as part of its ongoing crackdown on the Syrian government and those who support it.

    More >>
  • Augusta man pleads guilty to necrophilia, sentenced to 10 years

    Augusta man pleads guilty to necrophilia, sentenced to 10 years

    Monday, April 24 2017 6:47 PM EDT2017-04-24 22:47:44 GMT
    Marcus D. Booker (source: Richmond County Jail)Marcus D. Booker (source: Richmond County Jail)

    An Augusta man has been sentenced to ten years after pleading guilty to necrophilia. The District Attorney's office confirms that forty-seven-year-old Marcus D. Booker pleaded guilty in court Thursday.

    More >>

    An Augusta man has been sentenced to ten years after pleading guilty to necrophilia. The District Attorney's office confirms that forty-seven-year-old Marcus D. Booker pleaded guilty in court Thursday.

    More >>
  • South Korea, allies brace for North Korea follow-up act

    South Korea, allies brace for North Korea follow-up act

    Monday, April 24 2017 6:47 PM EDT2017-04-24 22:47:33 GMT
    Monday, April 24 2017 6:47 PM EDT2017-04-24 22:47:33 GMT

    South Korea and its allies are bracing for the possibility that North Korea may carry out its sixth nuclear test or its maiden test launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile around the founding anniversary of its military on Tuesday.

    More >>

    South Korea and its allies are bracing for the possibility that North Korea may carry out its sixth nuclear test or its maiden test launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile around the founding anniversary of its military on Tuesday.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly