As the temperatures rise this summer, officials are reminding residents about the dangers of hot weather - especially for children and older adults.
Here are some reminders and tips from Columbia County EMA:
- It only takes 10 minutes for temperatures to climb nearly 20 degrees inside a vehicle, even if the windows are cracked.
- Temperatures can rise 35 degrees in 30 minutes.
- Never leave a child or pet inside for any amount of time.
- Look in the back seat before exiting your vehicle.
- Heat is the number one weather-related killer.
- Know the symptoms of heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.
- Check on neighbors who don't have air conditioning.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water.