AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) - Summer is here, and for many families that means leaving town for vacation.
While most homeowners take steps to keep burglars out of their homes while they're away, many don't think out keeping out other intruders - bugs.
Here are some tips from Arrow Exterminators on how you can keep pests away from your home while you're gone:
- Remove or drain sources of standing water in the yard that could be a breeding ground for mosquitoes, which grow from larvae to adult in as little as 7 days. This includes birdbaths, kiddie pools and saucers of flowerpots. Additionally, clean out rain gutters to prevent water from collecting there as well.
- Cut tree branches and other plants away from the home to keep insects, especially ants, from using them as a means of transportation inside.
- Give the exterior of the home a once-over ensuring screens are in good repair and that all cracks and crevices as well as doors and windows are well sealed.
- Discard all garbage prior to leaving for vacation and if you must leave behind any last minute trash, make sure it is placed in well-sealed garbage cans. Houseflies are notorious invaders and will travel up to 20 miles in search of food.
- Seal any leftovers and sweets in airtight containers to prevent ant infestations and if you are packing snacks for the car or plane, use airtight containers or bags to ensure ants don't travel with you on vacation.
- Seal your clothing in large plastic bags within your suitcase and keep them sealed during your hotel stay to prevent beg bugs from hitching a ride in them. When you return home, inspect and vacuum suitcases before bringing them inside and wash all clothing in hot water.
For more information, visit http://www.arrowexterminators.com/.