AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) - Several people were sent to the emergency room Thursday afternoon after chemical fumes leaked into a call center near Augusta Mall.
Teleperformance, located at 2807 Wylds Rd., was evacuated after employees at the center smelled some sort of chemical fumes, said Chief B. Wayne Taylor with the Augusta Fire Department.
The fumes leaked into the building when roofers were putting sealant around an air conditioning unit on the building, Taylor said. The air conditioning unit was left on while crews were working.
Employees were sent back into an unaffected area of the building, but some more employees got sick, so they were all sent home for the day.
Eight people were sent to the emergency room at Doctors Hospital, said Lindsay Thetford, spokesperson for the hospital.
One person was sent to the emergency room at Georgia Regents Medical Center, said Denise Parrish, spokesperson for that hospital.
All patients were reported to be in good condition.
The building is being ventilated and Hazmat crews are going through to make sure it's safe, Taylor said. He expects the business to be open again Friday morning.