Helen Blocker-Adams suspends campaign for mayor - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Helen Blocker-Adams suspends campaign for mayor

AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) -

Helen Blocker-Adams announced Thursday that she's suspending her campaign for mayor.

"Effective immediately I am suspending my campaign and my run for mayor," she said at a press conference.

This suspension comes days after past financial issues were made public. Blocker-Adams admitted to owing thousands of dollars after three civil court cases.

"These last few days have been hard and humiliating," Blocker-Adams said.

Her campaign committee says this decision was made entirely by Blocker-Adams.

"We were willing to stand by her," campaign chair Pam Wilkins said. "It was completely her call."

Blocker-Adams says this experience has given her a new focus in her life.

"It has shown me that I have work to do on me and especially my financial challenges," she said.

Now, she just hopes the community and her supporters can forgive her.

"I know I have let many people down, and I am deeply sorry for that. I ask for your forgiveness," she said with tears in her eyes.

Even though she is taking herself out of the mayoral race, Blocker-Adams says she will still continue to work for change here in Augusta.

"My heart and compassion is for Augusta and all its people. And that will continue to be important to me," she said.

Adams' name will still be on the May 20 ballot with the four other candidates next week.

Copyright 2014 WFXG. All rights reserved.

A CDC ban on 'fetus' and 'transgender?' Experts alarmed

Saturday, December 16 2017 7:49 PM EST2017-12-17 00:49:07 GMT
    Saturday, December 16 2017 9:19 PM EST2017-12-17 02:19:40 GMT

Health leaders say they are alarmed about reports that officials at the nation's top public health agency are being told not to use certain words in official budget documents, including "fetus," and "transgender.".

Trump defends tax plan, proclaims economy set 'to rock'

Saturday, December 16 2017 3:16 AM EST2017-12-16 08:16:02 GMT
    Saturday, December 16 2017 9:19 PM EST2017-12-17 02:19:51 GMT
    (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite). House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady, R-Texas, is pursued by reporters in the Capitol after signing the conference committee report to advance the GOP tax bill, in Washington, Friday, Dec. 15, 2017.(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite). House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Kevin Brady, R-Texas, is pursued by reporters in the Capitol after signing the conference committee report to advance the GOP tax bill, in Washington, Friday, Dec. 15, 2017.

Republicans working to execute their first major legislative achievement of Donald Trump's presidency appear to have secured the votes to pass a massive tax overhaul that Trump hoped to present to Americans.

Republicans working to execute their first major legislative achievement of Donald Trump's presidency appear to have secured the votes to pass a massive tax overhaul that Trump hoped to present to the American people for Christmas.

After Alabama, abortion may be backseat issue in 2018 races

Saturday, December 16 2017 12:06 PM EST2017-12-16 17:06:09 GMT
    Saturday, December 16 2017 9:19 PM EST2017-12-17 02:19:46 GMT

Both Democratic and Republican operatives say abortion may take a backseat to other issues in 2018 now that conservative Alabama has elected a Democrat who supports abortion rights.