Fire destroys trailer, damages Phoenix cabinet, granite supplier - WFXG FOX54 Augusta - Your News One Hour Earlier

UPDATE

Fire destroys trailer, damages Phoenix cabinet, granite supplier

Posted: Updated:
A fire erupted near a wholesale cabinet and granite supplier southeast of the CBS 5 studios Thursday morning. (Source: CBS 5 News) A fire erupted near a wholesale cabinet and granite supplier southeast of the CBS 5 studios Thursday morning. (Source: CBS 5 News)
PHOENIX (CBS5) -

What began as one fire quickly turned into two for Phoenix firefighters Thursday morning.

Flames destroyed a trailer in a mobile home park and spread through a window into an adjacent wholesale cabinet and granite supplier, said Phoenix fire Capt. Tony Mure.

The fire began just before 8 a.m. in a travel trailer nestled against a block wall separating the A&F Trailer Park and business southeast of the CBS 5 studios near the intersection of Interstate 17 and Indian School Road.

The occupants of the trailer tried to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher before getting out of the trailer and calling 911, Mure said.

Mure said the original call was for the fire in the trailer park, but then numerous calls came in that it wasn't the trailer park, but the cabinet business.

"Turns out it we had two fires," Mure said.

The flames were seen well above the rooftop of Better Homes Cabinets and Granite at 4011 N. Black Canyon Hwy. and broke a window to a warehouse where boxed cabinets were stacked, Mure said.

An employee who was just opening the business walked in about the time the fire started and the interior fire sprinkling system in the cabinets area kicked in and helped contain the fire to that immediate area.

The mobile home was destroyed and the business suffered some burn and water damage, Mure said.

He said what people see on TV when a sprinkler system is activated is often misleading.

He said the sprinklers have a meltable fusable link and that only one or two normally go off. One sprinkler head in the business went off and did its job, he said.

There was no damage estimate available, but Mure said it would have been a lot worse for the business if the employee hadn't walked in and the sprinkling wasn't functional.

He also said if the fire had been one window farther away to where the granite was being stored, the damage would have been a lot less.

Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow