Co-workers help local burn victim with home makeover - WFXG FOX54 Augusta - Your News One Hour Earlier

Co-workers help local burn victim with home makeover

Posted: Updated:
EL MIRAGE, AZ (CBS5) -

One Valley woman says she's grateful for the help of her co-workers, who helped remodel her home to better accommodate her after a serious accident. 

Addie Correa was severely burned when she fell into a fire pit in November of 2012.

"I don't remember anything that happened to me at the time," said Correa.

Correa sufferers from epilepsy, and when her family members had gone to gather more wood, she had a seizure and fell into the fire.

"I burned 56 percent of my body (with) third-degree burns," said Correa.

Correa was placed in a medically-induced coma for four months, and after waking up, she couldn't even return home. The floors in her El Mirage home were uneven, and she didn't have central air conditioning.

"At that time I was using a walker and with the holes in the floor, the walker could easily get caught," she explained.

"It was going to be summer, and these things were going to be kind of warm," she continued, referring to the compression socks Correa is required to wear over some of her wounds.

Correa's co-workers spent over 500 hours helping fix her home. They installed a new air conditioning unit donated from Day & Night Air. They painted her home and even installed a new floor.

"I wouldn't be here without what they did for me," said Correa. "I consider them my family."

Copyright 2014 CBS5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation).All rights reserved. 

 

Powered by WorldNow