Woman's strength, faith helps with long recovery following crash - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Woman's strength, faith helps with long recovery following crash

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -

It was a terrible accident that nearly killed a young Kansas City woman back in May. But now, after six months of recovery at Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital in Lincoln, NE, she's back home.

If it wasn't for a driver passing by who used his belt as a tourniquet 23-year-old Cate Squires would not be alive.

"My mom told me exactly what happened. I think the first thing I told her was that I wanted to meet him and thank him," she said.

She did get a chance to thank him, but Squires doesn't remember much from the May 7 accident.

"I remember being right in front of the Downtown Airport and there was a disabled vehicle and he was going super slow and I was thinking, ‘what are you doing on this highway?' and that's all I remember," she said.

It was moments later that she was hit by an alleged drunk driver. Squires lost her leg in the crash and later suffered a stroke from blood loss.

But the recently graduated college student said she forgives.

"I completely forgive. What happened to me, it is what it is. There's nothing I can do to change what happened," Squires said.

Hers is a story about never giving up and knowing that, despite what happens, you can recover. Squires said she's come a long ways the last six months and she knows that she controls her future.

"I just need to get back to the person I was, I know I'm well on my way," she said. "Everyone in the world makes mistakes. What happened to me is what happened and there's no going back."

For Squires it's about moving forward.

"There is no limit on what you can accomplish when you have a good mental attitude," she said.

Squires' goals are to once again walk independently and to regain use of her right arm. She's currently doing outpatient therapy in Kansas City.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.). All rights reserved.

Philip Roth, fearless and celebrated author, dies at 85

Wednesday, May 23 2018 12:03 AM EDT2018-05-23 04:03:23 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 11:04 AM EDT2018-05-23 15:04:22 GMT
    (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File). FILE - In this Sept. 8, 2008, file photo, author Philip Roth poses for a photo in the offices of his publisher, Houghton Mifflin, in New York. Roth, prize-winning novelist and fearless narrator of sex, religion and mortal...(AP Photo/Richard Drew, File). FILE - In this Sept. 8, 2008, file photo, author Philip Roth poses for a photo in the offices of his publisher, Houghton Mifflin, in New York. Roth, prize-winning novelist and fearless narrator of sex, religion and mortal...

Author of more than 25 books,  Philip Roth won virtually every literary honor, including the Pulitzer Prize for "American Pastoral."

US, South Korea work to keep North Korea summit on track

Wednesday, May 23 2018 12:44 AM EDT2018-05-23 04:44:27 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 11:04 AM EDT2018-05-23 15:04:14 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). President Donald Trump meets with South Korean President Moon Jae-In in the Oval Office of the White House, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, in Washington.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). President Donald Trump meets with South Korean President Moon Jae-In in the Oval Office of the White House, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, in Washington.

The June 12 summit, planned for Singapore, offers a historic chance for peace on the peninsula - but also the risk of an epic diplomatic failure that would allow the North to revive and advance its nuclear weapons program.

Trump eager to sign bill rolling back Dodd-Frank regulations

Wednesday, May 23 2018 12:43 AM EDT2018-05-23 04:43:22 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 11:03 AM EDT2018-05-23 15:03:51 GMT
    (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File). FILE - This March 6, 2018, file photo shows the Capitol in Washington. Several Democrats facing tough re-elections this fall are joining solid Republican backing of an effort to alter some key aspects of the Dodd-F...(AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File). FILE - This March 6, 2018, file photo shows the Capitol in Washington. Several Democrats facing tough re-elections this fall are joining solid Republican backing of an effort to alter some key aspects of the Dodd-F...

Trump is one step from checking off another campaign promise, an overhaul of the landmark Dodd-Frank bill that grew out of the 2008 financial collapse.