Woman's strength, faith helps with long recovery following crash - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Woman's strength, faith helps with long recovery following crash

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -

It was a terrible accident that nearly killed a young Kansas City woman back in May. But now, after six months of recovery at Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital in Lincoln, NE, she's back home.

If it wasn't for a driver passing by who used his belt as a tourniquet 23-year-old Cate Squires would not be alive.

"My mom told me exactly what happened. I think the first thing I told her was that I wanted to meet him and thank him," she said.

She did get a chance to thank him, but Squires doesn't remember much from the May 7 accident.

"I remember being right in front of the Downtown Airport and there was a disabled vehicle and he was going super slow and I was thinking, ‘what are you doing on this highway?' and that's all I remember," she said.

It was moments later that she was hit by an alleged drunk driver. Squires lost her leg in the crash and later suffered a stroke from blood loss.

But the recently graduated college student said she forgives.

"I completely forgive. What happened to me, it is what it is. There's nothing I can do to change what happened," Squires said.

Hers is a story about never giving up and knowing that, despite what happens, you can recover. Squires said she's come a long ways the last six months and she knows that she controls her future.

"I just need to get back to the person I was, I know I'm well on my way," she said. "Everyone in the world makes mistakes. What happened to me is what happened and there's no going back."

For Squires it's about moving forward.

"There is no limit on what you can accomplish when you have a good mental attitude," she said.

Squires' goals are to once again walk independently and to regain use of her right arm. She's currently doing outpatient therapy in Kansas City.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.). All rights reserved.

US women beat Canada for gold in a 3-2 shootout thriller

Thursday, February 22 2018 2:34 AM EST2018-02-22 07:34:20 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 7:47 AM EST2018-02-22 12:47:41 GMT
    (AP Photo/Matt Slocum). United States celebrates winning gold after the women's gold medal hockey game against Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.(AP Photo/Matt Slocum). United States celebrates winning gold after the women's gold medal hockey game against Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Gangneung, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.

Twenty long years after taking gold when the sport debuted in 1998, the United States snapped Canada's streak of four straight Olympic golds with a 3-2 shootout victory.

Nowitzki 'disgusted' by report of hostile workplace for Mavs

Wednesday, February 21 2018 2:13 AM EST2018-02-21 07:13:50 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 7:47 AM EST2018-02-22 12:47:28 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

The Dallas Mavericks have hired outside counsel to investigate allegations of inappropriate conduct by former team president Terdema Ussery in a Sports Illustrated report that described a hostile workplace environment for women.

Wise gives it all, and comes out with another Olympic gold

Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:26 PM EST2018-02-22 04:26:51 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 7:47 AM EST2018-02-22 12:47:14 GMT
    (AP Photo/Gregory Bull). David Wise, of the United States, jumps during the men's halfpipe finals at Phoenix Snow Park at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.(AP Photo/Gregory Bull). David Wise, of the United States, jumps during the men's halfpipe finals at Phoenix Snow Park at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018.

It's the seventh gold medal for the U.S. in Pyeongchang, five of which have come from snowboard and freestyle skiing events.