AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) - The icy roads left by the severe winter storm are causing dangerous driving conditions and wrecks across the CSRA.
State and local officials are urging residents to stay off the roads unless it's an emergency.
The S.C. Highway Patrol received more than 3,200 calls for service between 4 p.m. Tuesday and 4 p.m. Wednesday, and more than 1,600 of those were collisions. Troopers said most of those collisions were minor ones caused by patches of ice and slush that re-froze because of low temperatures.
Bridges, secondary roadways and areas that are not frequently traveled are the most dangerous, troopers said.
Icy conditions are being reported on many Richmond County roads, and Georgia Department of Transportation crews are working to spread salt or sand on those areas.
The Gordon Highway bridge westbound into South Carolina is completely iced over with no road visibility, Richmond County officials said.
Calhoun Expressway is open again, but Richmond County officials are still warning drivers to be very careful in the area. The east and westbound lanes from the 2500 block of Washington Road to 12th and Greene streets were shut down Tuesday night because of dangerously icy conditions.
Richmond County officials also said Wednesday morning that Riverwatch Parkway was extremely icy, but Georgia Department of Transportation crews were working to put sand on the road.
They are also warning that Highway 56/Mike Padgett Highway from International Paper to the county line is iced over. They are asking drivers to avoid that area if possible.
All Columbia County roads are open and passable, said Pam Tucker, EMA director. There are patches of black ice on the roads, and drivers should slow down.
As of 8 a.m., South Carolina Department of Transportation officials reported all interstates and state routes were "passible." CLICK HERE TO CHECK S.C. STATE ROAD CONDITIONS.
The Georgia DOT was reported dense fog on I-520 near Wheeler Road early Wednesday, but no wrecks in the CSRA. CLICK HERE TO CHECK GEORGIA STATE ROAD CONDITIONS.
As of 10 a.m. Wednesday, Richmond County crews were working to address icy conditions at the following locations:
- Riverwatch at the railroad overpass and at Eisenhower ball park is iced over.
- Wheeler Road at Interstate Parkway in front of the Parc at Flowing Wells Road
- Glenn Hills at Breeze Hill is iced over
- Eastbound I-520 around exit 1C, ice on the road
- 1900 block of Brown Road
- Sand Bar Ferry Rd between I-520 and Laney Walker Blvd exit is iced over. Avoid the area.
- Milledgeville Rd at Barton Chapel Rd is iced over, cars cannot maneuver through the ice. Avoid this area.
- 1000 block of Stevens Creek Rd in front of Fountain Head Condominiums is being salted.
- Walton Way between Bransford and Lake Forest Dr
- Walton Way Extension at Robert C. Daniel Jr. Pkwy is icy, use caution
- Eastbound I-520 just west of Wheeler Rd at the hill
- Glenn Hills overpass at I-520 eastbound
- Windsor Spring Rd at I-520 northbound
- Deans Bridge Rd at I-520 northbound and southbound
- Barton Chapel Rd at Old McDuffie Rd
- Broad Street toward Milledge Rd is iced over at the hill, vehicles cannot gain traction
- McElmurray Rd at Peach Orchard Rd
- Gordon Hwy at Tubman Home Rd
- I-520 bridges at Gordon Hwy, Deans Bridge Rd, and Wheeler Rd
- Riverwatch eastbound just east of River Shoals has sold ice on the bridge, avoid this area
- Walton Way Ext bridge over I-20 is completely iced over and unsafe for travel
All non-emergency travel is strongly discouraged Wednesday due to deteriorating conditions. Officials are strongly encouraging citizens to remain at home until conditions improve.
If you must drive, leave at least three car lengths between you and the car ahead of you and brake slowly. Give yourself plenty of extra time, drive slowly and avoid making sudden stops and turns.
The county will continue to monitor roads and send out updates.