AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) - Flames shot into the air as firefighters battled the blaze in a block of townhomes at the Forest Hills Racquet Club on Thursday afternoon.
Patricia Stacks was the first to spot trouble.
"At first I thought it was someone burning trash," she said. "And as I looked, I saw some more smoke coming from the roof."
Stacks said she quickly realized the situation was much worse, and called 911.
"I realized there was a gigantic fire in the backyard," she said. "Then I realized it was out of control. And then it started at the roof."
The fire quickly spread, engulfing four units, spreading across the roofline and through the homes. Stacks ran and woke her neighbor, Stephen Scharff.
"She said the place next door is on fire," Scharff said. "And so I ran outside."
Scharff said he's thankful he and his pets out of the house; his own home was only feet from the inferno.
"It was unbelievable," said Scharff. "The fire had engulfed the back of the end unit, and it had spread to the second unit by the time I got outside."
Neighbors said a couple units were vacant or unoccupied, and the owner of another unit was able to get her pets and belongings out before it went up in smoke.
"I'm just grateful to my neighbor, Patricia...thank God she saw it...and was able to call the fire department in time," Scharff said.
Fortunately, nobody was hurt. But, neighbors wonder now what will happen next.
Stay with WFXG for updates.