AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) - A motorcyclist is behind bars after Richmond County deputies said he led them on a high-speed chase Tuesday night, reaching speeds of 125 miles per hour.
Michael Christopher Jackson, 37, was driving his motorcycle on Windsor Spring Road around 9:20 p.m. when deputies tried to stop him near Tobacco Road, according to the sheriff's office. Jackson fled northbound on Windsor Spring Road.
Deputies said that as Jackson approached Deans Bridge Road at Lyman Street, he fired shots at them.
Jackson lost control of his motorcycle at the intersection of 15th and Broad streets and crashed, deputies said. His injuries were non-life-threatening.
No deputies were injured during the incident, according to the sheriff's office.
Jackson is facing the following charges:
- aggravated assault – police officer
- possession of a firearm by convicted felon
- possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime
- possession of methamphetamine with intent to distribute
- possession of cocaine with intent to distribute
- possession of heroin
- reckless driving
- fleeing/attempting to elude
- driving while license suspended
- red light violations, etc.