A&E suspends 'Duck Dynasty' star over remarks on homosexuality - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

A&E suspends 'Duck Dynasty' star over remarks on homosexuality

The show's August premiere brought in 11.8 million viewers. (Source: A&E/MGN Online) The show's August premiere brought in 11.8 million viewers. (Source: A&E/MGN Online)

(RNN) - A&E Television has suspended Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson, according to a statement from the network obtained by several media outlets.

The suspension comes after a profile piece appeared in GQ in which Robertson told the magazine that he does not support homosexuality, calling it illogical and a sin.

"[A woman has] more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical."

Robertson went on to say "Everything is blurred on what's right and what's wrong. Sin becomes fine."

"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men," he told the magazine before paraphrasing a portion of 1 Corinthians 6 from the Bible.

"Don't be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers — they won't inherit the kingdom of God. Don't deceive yourself. It's not right."

A&E said Robertson is "under hiatus from filming indefinitely."

"We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson's comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty," a statement from the network read.

Robertson responded to his suspension by releasing a statement on Wednesday night, according to CNN.

"I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me," he said. "We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity."

GLAAD, a gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender advocacy group, also released a statement saying "By taking quick action and removing Robertson from future filming, A&E has sent a strong message that discrimination is neither a Christian nor an American value."

Meanwhile, fans of the show flocked to A&E's Facebook page threatening a boycott of the network until Robertson is reinstated.

"Agree or disagree with what Phil said, he had the right to say it. I'm disappointed with A&E. The only message A&E has sent by suspending Phil is that you have no right to your own opinion," wrote one poster.

Another wrote, "While I do not agree with every single aspect of his beliefs, he is guaranteed the right to them, and to speak of them, in any way he sees fit."

The show is the No. 1 reality show in cable. The August season premiere brought in 11.8 million viewers, according to A&E.

Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

  • FOX54 Poll

  • Do you agree with A&E's decision to suspend Phil Robertson?

  • Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far:

    Yes
    10%
    3702 votes
    No
    88%
    32434 votes
    Unsure
    2%
    558 votes
  • FOX & CNN News StoriesMore>>

  • Mom and adult children arrested in robbery spree in NY

    Mom and adult children arrested in robbery spree in NY

    Monday, October 23 2017 11:31 PM EDT2017-10-24 03:31:39 GMT
    Monday, October 23 2017 11:31 PM EDT2017-10-24 03:31:39 GMT

    Police say the family members committed these crimes - including robberies of Dunkin' Donuts, Family Dollar and Dollar Tree - to feed their drug addictions.

    More >>

    Police say the family members committed these crimes - including robberies of Dunkin' Donuts, Family Dollar and Dollar Tree - to feed their drug addictions.

    More >>
  • New NYPD officer pops question after taking oath

    New NYPD officer pops question after taking oath

    Monday, October 23 2017 8:10 PM EDT2017-10-24 00:10:36 GMT
    Monday, October 23 2017 8:10 PM EDT2017-10-24 00:10:36 GMT

    Phillip Santana staged the marriage proposal pretending to be interviewed for a TV segment.  

    More >>

    Phillip Santana staged the marriage proposal pretending to be interviewed for a TV segment.  

    More >>
  • Carter defends Trump, offers to go to N Korea

    Carter defends Trump, offers to go to N Korea

    Monday, October 23 2017 7:07 PM EDT2017-10-23 23:07:29 GMT
    Monday, October 23 2017 7:07 PM EDT2017-10-23 23:07:29 GMT

    In a recent New York Times interview, Jimmy Carter defended Trump, and offered to help on a key foreign policy issue. The 93-year-old said he'd be willing to visit North Korea on Trump's behalf amid ongoing nuclear tensions. 

    More >>

    In a recent New York Times interview, Jimmy Carter defended Trump, and offered to help on a key foreign policy issue. The 93-year-old said he'd be willing to visit North Korea on Trump's behalf amid ongoing nuclear tensions. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly