Information provided by Memphis Division of Fire Services.
1. Keep space heaters three feet away from combustible materials.
2. Don't overload electrical outlets.
3. Avoid using too many extension cords.
4. Have fireplaces, chimneys, and wood burning inserts inspected by licensed technician to insure proper installation, adequate clearance, and to insure that chimney's are free of debris and creosote buildup.
5. Never leave fireplaces, space heaters, and candles unattended.
6. Kerosene heaters should be refueled outdoors.
7. Carbon monoxide is considered a silent killer and is often presented when equipment is improperly vented.
8. Never use kitchen stoves as a source of heat.
9. Do not use portable generators in the home, garage, carport, sheds, or partially enclosed spaces.
10. Maintain a working smoke detector in your place of residence.