Couple pays $750 fine for Grand Canyon trip during shutdown - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Couple pays $750 fine for Grand Canyon trip during shutdown

PHOENIX (CBS5) -

It was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime. But the government shutdown caused John and Laurie Boone's Grand Canyon excursion to become quite the hassle.

"We were going to do a 16-day, 225-mile Grand Canyon rafting trip and our launch day was Sept. 30. The day before the government shutdown," said John Boone, via Skype.

The couple was part of a larger 16-person group, and without knowing whether the shutdown would actually happen, they started their trip on Sept. 30.

"This was a bucket list item and it was finally coming to reality and we were very, very excited," said John Boone.

"He had been on the waiting list for 17 years to get this permit and we finally got it in the year of his 50th birthday, so it's huge," responded his wife, Laurie Boone.

Halfway through the trip, plans called for the group of 16 to switch out some of their rafters. Five people were allowed to leave, but their replacements were prohibited from entering the park. One person, though, was able to sneak in. 

"They did it illegally, and of course, the rangers were there to greet them when they crossed," said John Boone.

Rangers told the rafter he had to exit the park or face a fine. However, after much discussion, the group decided they needed the extra person to safely raft, and they told the ranger he would not leave.

"We were going to choose not to obey that request, we were both cited for disobeying the request of the park ranger," said John Boone.

"I mean we had to choose between the safety of 14 people or breaking the law. We had to take that risk. We could not make any other decision," said Laurie Boone.

John Boone and the new rafter faced a $20,000 fine, up to 30 days in jail and a five-year ban from federal parks. Fortunately, the trip ended safely and the fine was knocked down.

Monday, John Boone settled with the government for a $750 fine. The charges were dropped to those equal to a serious traffic violation.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • School shooting may not bring change to gun-loving Texas

    School shooting may not bring change to gun-loving Texas

    Monday, May 21 2018 12:52 AM EDT2018-05-21 04:52:04 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 10:05 PM EDT2018-05-22 02:05:17 GMT
    (Elizabeth Conley/Houston Chronicle via AP). A billboard is seen off of I-45 near Santa Fe, Texas, where a student shot and killed eight classmates and two teachers at Santa Fe High School.(Elizabeth Conley/Houston Chronicle via AP). A billboard is seen off of I-45 near Santa Fe, Texas, where a student shot and killed eight classmates and two teachers at Santa Fe High School.

    The shooting suspect, 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis, has been jailed on capital murder charges.

    More >>

    The shooting suspect, 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis, has been jailed on capital murder charges.

    More >>
  • FBI, Justice to 'review' classified info sought by lawmakers

    FBI, Justice to 'review' classified info sought by lawmakers

    Monday, May 21 2018 12:51 AM EDT2018-05-21 04:51:49 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 10:03 PM EDT2018-05-22 02:03:09 GMT
    (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File). FILE - In this Thursday, May 17, 2018, file photo, U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting in the Cabinet Room of the White House, in Washington. Trump said he will "demand" that the Justice Department open ...(AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster, File). FILE - In this Thursday, May 17, 2018, file photo, U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting in the Cabinet Room of the White House, in Washington. Trump said he will "demand" that the Justice Department open ...

    Trump's demand puts further pressure on the Justice Department, which later Sunday asked its watchdog to expand an existing probe of FBI actions, as the White House combats the threat posed by special counsel Robert Mueller's ongoing investigation.

    More >>

    Trump's demand puts further pressure on the Justice Department, which later Sunday asked its watchdog to expand an existing probe of FBI actions, as the White House combats the threat posed by special counsel Robert Mueller's ongoing investigation.

    More >>
  • US demands wholesale changes in Iran policies post-nuke deal

    US demands wholesale changes in Iran policies post-nuke deal

    Monday, May 21 2018 8:52 AM EDT2018-05-21 12:52:00 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 10:02 PM EDT2018-05-22 02:02:47 GMT
    fasfdafasfda

    Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is laying out the Trump administration's strategy for constraining Iran's nuclear program and opposing its other behavior in the region following President Donald Trump's withdrawal...

    More >>

    Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is laying out the Trump administration's strategy for constraining Iran's nuclear program and opposing its other behavior in the region following President Donald Trump's withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly