Saturday morning, Craig Franklin Morgan of Murfreesboro, Tennessee was found dead in his family RV with what authorities are calling carbon monoxide poisoning. His wife Jami Allison Morgan was also in the RV, unresponsive when EMT's got there, but was air lifted to UAB. She is now in critical condition.
Talladega County Sheriff Jimmy Kilgore said the RV the couple were in had a broken exhaust pipe on the generator, and they left it on all night.
"It's very sad. It's just horrible for those people," said Deidre Hollaway.
Hollaway had set up camp in the same South Park RV campground the couple were found in.
"This morning I seen probably 20 plus emergency vehicles come down this road and turn this way. Cops and ambulances, EMT's," said Hollaway.
The last time the couple, who sources say came to the race with friends, spoke was Friday night before heading to bed.
"When they didn't have any contact or see them this morning I think they assumed they were walking the property or something, and then when they weren't able to contact them they went to the motor home and went inside and found them," said Sheriff Kilgore
Sheriff Kilgore added, "The race fans are usually close knit and they share their compassion when something like this happens and there's concern and sorrow and things of that nature."For people like Hollaway, this incident now has her thinking twice about her neighbors.
She said, "It might make me think if I don't see those folks over there fairly early like we have, I might check on them now. I probably wouldn't have thought of that until this incident."
Craig Franklin Morgan was 46-years-old. The case remains under investigation.
Copyright 2013 WAFF. All rights reserved.