West Union mayor blasted for anti-gay posts - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

West Union mayor blasted for anti-gay posts

Linda Oliver is the mayor of West Union. (Oct. 16, 2013/FOX Carolina) Linda Oliver is the mayor of West Union. (Oct. 16, 2013/FOX Carolina)
Linda Oliver talks with FOX Carolina about her comments on Facebook. (Oct. 16, 2013/FOX Carolina) Linda Oliver talks with FOX Carolina about her comments on Facebook. (Oct. 16, 2013/FOX Carolina)
WEST UNION, SC (FOX Carolina) -

When you hit Hwy 11 into Oconee County, you probably rolled through the small town of West Union, SC and didn't know it.

Nearly 300 people live in the town and it's run by Linda Oliver, who was elected as mayor.

"I don't want it rammed down my throat," Oliver said.

She's talking about a same-sex marriage. Recently, the register of deeds in Buncombe County, NC allowed 11 same sex couples to apply for marriage licenses and she disagrees with it.

"All I can say is if people want to crucify me that's fine. I know that following Jesus, I'm going to be crucified," Oliver said.

So, she went to her Facebook page and said she posted the Q-word. Many say in the context it was used, it's a word considered offensive to the gay community.

"And I got lambasted because I quoted the bible and stuff like that on Facebook and that's the way I feel," Oliver said.

Those who saw the post blasted her words and tagged them as slurs and bigotry. One comment stated:

"She deleted her original comments because she has no backbone."

"I have apologized, it's on there if people would just read the feed," Oliver said. "They're focusing on the word and I apologized for that. If people would read the whole thing they'll see that I plainly said I will not say that anymore, I'll say homosexual."

Now, there's a Facebook page created to oust Oliver and she said her feelings are hurt too.

"What I'm emotional about is because my feelings- the way I feel toward homosexuals is how I've been brought up," Oliver said.

Oliver used the Q-word several times in her posts, but said she didn't mean harm and it's a word she heard growing up.

Copyright 2013 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved

Olympic gymnastics ex-doctor pleads guilty to sex charges

Wednesday, November 22 2017 1:51 AM EST2017-11-22 06:51:40 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 1:23 PM EST2017-11-23 18:23:42 GMT

Olympic gymnasts Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney and Gabby Douglas are among the women who have publicly said they were among the doctor's victims.

Macy's parade rolls on with balloons, bands, security

Thursday, November 23 2017 12:32 AM EST2017-11-23 05:32:23 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 1:23 PM EST2017-11-23 18:23:31 GMT

The parade will feature heavy security, including officers with assault weapons and portable radiation detectors, sharpshooters on rooftops and sand-filled city sanitation trucks poised as barriers to traffic.

In terror-wary NYC, security tight for Thanksgiving parade

Wednesday, November 22 2017 10:01 AM EST2017-11-22 15:01:53 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 1:23 PM EST2017-11-23 18:23:19 GMT

Security for the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade will feature trucks filled with sand, concrete barriers and scores of police officers.