A family in Waynesboro is picking up the pieces, after a fire
Sunday morning ripped apart their home.
Fox 54 was told four people were in the house, but one didn't
make it out alive.
The Red Cross Augusta Chapter said they're making sure the
family doesn't lose one more thing-hope.
An anonymous neighbor said, "They're good people. They lost
That neighbor said he was shocked when a fire broke out
Sunday morning around 4A.M. and killed his friend, 33-year-old Andrew Sursson.
Waynesboro Fire Department Deputy Chief Robert Parrish said,
"He was found in the bedroom. The fire was in the living room and the kitchen.
There wasn't a way for him to make it to the doorways."
Three other people, two adults and a six-year-old, made it
out ok. But officials said there wasn't a working smoke detector in the home.
Chief Parrish said, "The adult male that made it out had to
break a window and go through it. From what I understand, he somehow got back
inside and took the child out."
The Red Cross Chapter of Augusta said they're taking it from
here and are making sure the family is taken care of.
Jennifer Pennington, Executive director, Red Cross Augusta
Red Cross Augusta Chapter Executive Director Jennifer
Pennington said, "We're able to provide
financial assistance so they can buy brand new clothing, purchase the food they
need and have a place to stay."
Currently, the family is staying in a hotel. Neighbors said
right now, they think emotional support will be key.
One anonymous neighbor said, "I'm just really sad about this
whole situation. I'm just going to support them all I can and just stick by their
An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday in Atlanta. Preliminary
reports suggest the fire started after Sursson started cooking and fell asleep.
Officials said a Sunday morning fire that killed a Burke County man appears accidental.
Andrew Lenair Sursson, 33, died in the fire at 710 Savannah Avenue. Fire Investigators believe that unattended cooking by Sursson may have started the blaze.
Officials said the duplex home was heavily damaged by the blaze. The fire call was reported at 4:36 a.m.
Two adults and a 6-year old child were also in the home at the time of the fire , but escaped unharmed.
This is the 95th reported fire fatal in Georgia for 2013. Fourteen of those deaths are a direct result of unattended cooking.
Thursday, December 5 2013 2:44 AM EST2013-12-05 07:44:00 GMT
This information applies only to XFINITY Internet customers in Huntsville and Mobile, AL; Atlanta, Augusta and Savannah, GA; Central Kentucky; Maine; Jackson, MS; Knoxville and Memphis, TN; and Charleston,More >>
This information applies only to XFINITY Internet customers in Huntsville and Mobile, AL; Atlanta, Augusta and Savannah, GA; Central Kentucky; Maine; Jackson, MS; Knoxville and Memphis, TN; and Charleston, SC.
Thursday, December 5 2013 2:38 AM EST2013-12-05 07:38:04 GMT
"I would encourage anyone to steer away online conversations because you really don't know who you're talking to," said Richmond County Sheriff's Sgt. Shane McDaniel. Good advice after what we uncoveredMore >>
According to the affidavit, Mann and Riggs had communicated online and had arranged a meeting. What Mann didn't know, according to the document, was that Riggs had intents of robbing him.More >>