19-year-old pleads guilty to attempted murder charge - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

19-year-old pleads guilty to attempted murder charge

Ancel Harris (Source: Horry County Sheriff's Office) Ancel Harris (Source: Horry County Sheriff's Office)

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - The nineteen-year-old wanted for escape by the Horry County Sheriff's Office has been captured, and had his day in court.

Ancel Ramon Harris was wanted for escape after cutting off an ankle bracelet in August.

Authorities say Harris fled to New York, but was found and extradited back to South Carolina to face charges.

Before his escape, Harris was charged with some serious crimes including attempted murder, carjacking and second degree battery.

On Tuesday, Oct. 15 he pleaded guilty to attempted murder and carjacking. He was sentenced to serve 15 years in prison for each charge, and those sentences will run concurrently.

Since his escape, the Home Detention Center has upgraded its software system and deputies hope it will help prevent things like escape from happening. The sheriff's office was previously using Veritrax and said it was helpful, but the system upgrade is expected to provide more detailed mapping, faster response times, and ability with other electronic devices.

"We have iPads in our cars so I think it will make it to where we can enter them into the GPS program from our iPads," says Deputy Jennifer Dashong who has been working with suspects in the program for five years.

There are just under 100 people on the home monitoring system, and they are tracked through the GPS device worn around their ankles. Deputies can get up to the minute information about suspects, and they say they like the program for a number of reasons. It cost nothing for taxpayers, and it allows suspects to continue going to school or handle other responsibilities.

Copyright 2013 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

Top Stories

Special

More Crime on WMBFNews.com

Updated:

Click for more mugshots See "Horry County's Most Wanted" More>>

  • NEWSMore>>

  • North Korea slams Pence as summit with Trump grows shakier

    North Korea slams Pence as summit with Trump grows shakier

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 8:51 PM EDT2018-05-24 00:51:44 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 3:54 AM EDT2018-05-24 07:54:02 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). Women protesters stage a rally for peace on the Korea peninsular near U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Wednesday, May 23, 2018. U.S. President Donald Trump labored with South Korea's Moon Jae-in Tuesday to keep the highly anticipated U...(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). Women protesters stage a rally for peace on the Korea peninsular near U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Wednesday, May 23, 2018. U.S. President Donald Trump labored with South Korea's Moon Jae-in Tuesday to keep the highly anticipated U...
    A top North Korean official says recent comments by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence were "stupid" and "ignorant" and again warns the country is willing to pull out of a planned summit with Trump.More >>
    A top North Korean official says recent comments by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence were "stupid" and "ignorant" and again warns the country is willing to pull out of a planned summit with Trump.More >>
  • Syria state-run media reports US-led airstrike on army posts

    Syria state-run media reports US-led airstrike on army posts

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 9:11 PM EDT2018-05-24 01:11:43 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 3:53 AM EDT2018-05-24 07:53:52 GMT
    A Pentagon spokesman said there was "no information" to confirm or deny the reports. (Source: Raycom Media)A Pentagon spokesman said there was "no information" to confirm or deny the reports. (Source: Raycom Media)

    Syrian government-run media outlet is reporting that U.S.-led coalition airstrikes have struck Syrian army positions in eastern Syria near the front lines with the Islamic State group.

    More >>

    Syrian government-run media outlet is reporting that U.S.-led coalition airstrikes have struck Syrian army positions in eastern Syria near the front lines with the Islamic State group.

    More >>
  • Judge: President can't block critics on Twitter

    Judge: President can't block critics on Twitter

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 1:43 PM EDT2018-05-23 17:43:15 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 3:52 AM EDT2018-05-24 07:52:13 GMT
    A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment. (Source: CNN)A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment. (Source: CNN)

    A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment.

    More >>

    A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly