62-year-old pleads guilty in Paula Deen extortion case - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

62-year-old pleads guilty in Paula Deen extortion case

Thomas George Paculis Thomas George Paculis
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

A New York man pleaded guilty Friday afternoon to trying to extort money from embattled celebrity cook Paula Deen.

Thomas George Paculis, 62, faces a maximum possible sentence of two years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Court records filed last week say Paculis, of Newfield, N.Y., signed a plea agreement with prosecutors.

Authorities say Paculis contacted Deen's attorney threatening to reveal damaging statements by the former Food Network star unless she paid him $200,000. That happened after documents became public that showed Deen acknowledged using racial slurs in the past.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Top Stories

Paula Deen controversy

Click here to see documents related to the lawsuit against Paula Deen and her brother. More>>

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Trump aide: No military solution in North Korea

    Trump aide: No military solution in North Korea

    Thursday, August 17 2017 4:18 AM EDT2017-08-17 08:18:54 GMT
    Thursday, August 17 2017 3:24 PM EDT2017-08-17 19:24:24 GMT

    President Donald Trump's chief strategist says there's no military solution to North Korea's threats and that the U.S. is losing the economic race against China.

    More >>

    President Donald Trump's chief strategist says there's no military solution to North Korea's threats and that the U.S. is losing the economic race against China.

    More >>
  • Trump decries monument removals, 'history ripped apart'

    Trump decries monument removals, 'history ripped apart'

    Thursday, August 17 2017 3:49 AM EDT2017-08-17 07:49:12 GMT
    Thursday, August 17 2017 3:22 PM EDT2017-08-17 19:22:24 GMT

    A growing number of business leaders on the councils had openly criticized his remarks laying blame for the violence at a white supremacist rally on "both sides."

    More >>

    A growing number of business leaders on the councils had openly criticized his remarks laying blame for the violence at a white supremacist rally on "both sides."

    More >>
  • Breaking

    At least 13 dead, 50 injured in Barcelona terror attack

    At least 13 dead, 50 injured in Barcelona terror attack

    Thursday, August 17 2017 11:45 AM EDT2017-08-17 15:45:43 GMT
    Thursday, August 17 2017 3:23 PM EDT2017-08-17 19:23:04 GMT

    The fatal van attack on a crowded street in Barcelona, Spain is being treated as a terrorist attack, police said.

    More >>

    The fatal van attack on a crowded street in Barcelona, Spain is being treated as a terrorist attack, police said.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly