Carpenter 1 fire at 45 percent containment - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Carpenter 1 fire at 45 percent containment

A large plume of smoke from the Carpenter 1 wildfire rises over the Las Vegas Strip on July 10, 2013. (Source: Daryl Walls) A large plume of smoke from the Carpenter 1 wildfire rises over the Las Vegas Strip on July 10, 2013. (Source: Daryl Walls)
Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire engulf brush in the Spring Mountains. (Source: Inciweb.org) Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire engulf brush in the Spring Mountains. (Source: Inciweb.org)
Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire approach a road near Mt. Charleston on July 9, 2013. (Source: inciweb.org) Flames from the Carpenter 1 wildfire approach a road near Mt. Charleston on July 9, 2013. (Source: inciweb.org)
MT. CHARLESTON, NV (FOX5) -

There are hopeful signs concerning the Carpenter 1 fire on Mount Charleston heading into the weekend. 

A lightning strike started the blaze in the Carpenter Canyon area on the western side of the mountain July 1.

Currently, the fire has spread to 27,881 acres, roughly 43 square miles.

The blaze is 45 percent contained, according to officials.

More than 1,300 people are battling the blaze, according to inciweb.org, a website used to provide information about the fire.

Since the blaze started, more than 500 residents have been evacuated from Kyle, Lee and Trout canyons. Residents were being allowed inside the evacuation zone with an escort.

There are two shelters set up to assist evacuees, one at Hafen Elementary School in Pahrump, and the other at James Bilbray Elementary School in Las Vegas. The Southern Nevada chapter of the American Red Cross said they need donations to help fund their relief efforts.

So far, $13.16 million has been spent in an effort to contain the blaze.

Officials have closed the Spring Mountain Recreation Area. Several roads are also closed, including Lovell Canyon, Trout Canyon, Lovell Summit, Carpenter Canyon and Wallace Canyon roads at Highway 160. The Bristlecone, South Loop, North Loop and Griffith Park trails have also been closed.

Officials reopened Scenic Loop Drive on Thursday, but kept hiking trails off the roadway closed.

Officials said Monday they expect to have the fire contained by July 19.

A fire information hotline has been set up at 702-799-4610.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Trump administration sanctions 271 in Syrian chemical attack

    Trump administration sanctions 271 in Syrian chemical attack

    Monday, April 24 2017 6:57 PM EDT2017-04-24 22:57:14 GMT
    Monday, April 24 2017 6:57 PM EDT2017-04-24 22:57:14 GMT

    U.S. officials say the Trump administration will issue new sanctions against Syria as early as Monday as part of its ongoing crackdown on the Syrian government and those who support it.

    More >>

    U.S. officials say the Trump administration will issue new sanctions against Syria as early as Monday as part of its ongoing crackdown on the Syrian government and those who support it.

    More >>
  • Augusta man pleads guilty to necrophilia, sentenced to 10 years

    Augusta man pleads guilty to necrophilia, sentenced to 10 years

    Monday, April 24 2017 6:47 PM EDT2017-04-24 22:47:44 GMT
    Marcus D. Booker (source: Richmond County Jail)Marcus D. Booker (source: Richmond County Jail)

    An Augusta man has been sentenced to ten years after pleading guilty to necrophilia. The District Attorney's office confirms that forty-seven-year-old Marcus D. Booker pleaded guilty in court Thursday.

    More >>

    An Augusta man has been sentenced to ten years after pleading guilty to necrophilia. The District Attorney's office confirms that forty-seven-year-old Marcus D. Booker pleaded guilty in court Thursday.

    More >>
  • South Korea, allies brace for North Korea follow-up act

    South Korea, allies brace for North Korea follow-up act

    Monday, April 24 2017 6:47 PM EDT2017-04-24 22:47:33 GMT
    Monday, April 24 2017 6:47 PM EDT2017-04-24 22:47:33 GMT

    South Korea and its allies are bracing for the possibility that North Korea may carry out its sixth nuclear test or its maiden test launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile around the founding anniversary of its military on Tuesday.

    More >>

    South Korea and its allies are bracing for the possibility that North Korea may carry out its sixth nuclear test or its maiden test launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile around the founding anniversary of its military on Tuesday.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly