Columbia Co. Fire Chief talks grilling safety - WFXG FOX54 Augusta - Your News One Hour Earlier

Columbia Co. Fire Chief talks grilling safety

Posted: Updated:

Tis the season for outdoor grilling.

It's one of the most popular ways to cook food but a grill placed too close to anything that can burn is a fire hazard.

Jimmie Paschal, Columbia County's Fire Rescue Battalion Chief, said grilling should be done outdoors.

"Be outdoors, not on any overhangs or under trees where limbs could come in contact with the grill."

The grills can be very hot and can cause burn injuries.Pets and children should be at least 3 feet away from a grilling area.

The National Fire Protection Association named July the peak month for grill fires.

Paschal said many fires happen because of unattended grills and grills that are not clean.

"Make sure the grills are always clean and remove all grease from previous cookouts," Paschal said. "The grease burns and can start a fire."

Paschal also said grillers should also be aware of the difference between lighting a gas grill and a charcoal grill.

"Always make sure when you light a gas grill, the lid is open. If the fire does go out, wait at least 15 minutes before you try to light it again," said Paschal. "When using a charcoal grill, it's best to use a chimney starter. You can use newspaper or pine cones to start the fire."

When you are done grilling on a charcoal grill, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container and if you smell gas while cooking with a gas grill, step away from the grill and call the fire department.

Powered by WorldNow