Stepdad surprises family after 8-month deployment in Kuwait - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Scuba diving soldier surprises family

NEWPORT, KY (FOX19) -

Sea creatures weren't the only things swimming in the tanks at the Newport Aquarium Sunday afternoon.

Two little girls, Chloe Boyd, 11, and Cerridwyn Okolica, 7, had the surprise of their lives as their stepdad returned home from an 8-month deployment in Kuwait.

"I feel amazing.  I got to see my girls.  I got to see my soon-to-be wife.  I got to see my little one," said Ryan Goodwin, who's been deployed with the Navy Reserve.

Goodwin also has a scuba diving background.  He says the family has spent a lot of time at the aquarium together, too.  So, about a month ago, he contacted the people there to set up a very different kind of homecoming for his girls.

"When you're diving you can't really see who's in that mask.  I was thinking that after so long being going, I wanted to really surprise my girls, and do it in a place where they would have a lot of fun," added Goodwin.

Other than showing Goodwin how many teeth she's lost since he's been gone, Cerridwyn had one other thing she wanted to tell him when she found out he was there to surprise her.

"I wish you never been gone for that much days," she said.

For the staff at the Newport Aquarium, Sunday was unlike any other.

"This was the most exciting one we've ever done.  We've done marriage proposals here.  We've done a variety of different things.  This, by far, this was the greatest," said Jennifer Meeks, the dive safety officer at the Newport Aquarium.

Goodwin is expected to be home indefinitely to spend time with those who waited so long to see him.

"Until my unit deploys, or until I get the opportunity to mobilize again, I'll be home with my family, starting my life," Goodwin told FOX19.

Goodwin and his fiancée are soon to be very busy, as they've got an upcoming wedding set for Aug. 10.

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Trump says he should have left UCLA players in Chinese jail

Sunday, November 19 2017 1:33 PM EST2017-11-19 18:33:58 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 9:12 PM EST2017-11-20 02:12:40 GMT

After UCLA player's father minimized President Donald Trump's involvement in winning players' release from China, Trump tweets, "I should have left them in jail!".

Many Christian conservatives are backing Alabama's Roy Moore

Sunday, November 19 2017 9:20 AM EST2017-11-19 14:20:22 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 9:11 PM EST2017-11-20 02:11:56 GMT

Roy Moore's staunchest supporters say they won't quit him in the Alabama Senate rate because he never quit them.

Border agent dies after being injured in Texas

Sunday, November 19 2017 5:50 PM EST2017-11-19 22:50:30 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 7:25 PM EST2017-11-20 00:25:22 GMT

Authorities are searching Texas' Big Bend for potential suspects and witnesses after a U.S. Customs Border Patrol agent was fatally injured responding to activity there.