Food Network faces backlash over Deen ouster - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Food Network faces backlash over Deen ouster

Food Network said on Friday they would not renew Paula Deen's contract. (Source: Food Network) Food Network said on Friday they would not renew Paula Deen's contract. (Source: Food Network)

(RNN) - The firestorm surrounding embattled celebrity chef Paula Deen ignited on another social media front moments after the Food Network announced it was parting ways with her. Fans and defenders flocked to the network's Facebook page Friday and voiced their outrage.

In a deposition, Deen admitted to using racial slurs, including the N-word, in the past, "But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on," Deen said. "Things have changed since the '60s in the South. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do."

While many would not defend her use of slurs, they opposed the network's decision to cut ties with her.

"I am very upset with your decision to let Paula Deen go," said Dawn Domine. "Yes, it is wrong to use racial slurs ... she was honest and did not lie about it. She grew up in a different time in the South. Apology accepted, move on folks."

Cathy Brock says she's not a Paula Deen fan and "I am not agreeing with what she said by no means but I admire her honesty about her past. Now that took courage."

"He/she who is innocent of EVER saying ANYTHING they regret ... be the first to cast a stone at Paula Deen," wrote Janna Skillman Billsby.

Many viewers threatened to stop watching the network, which broadcasts to more than 100 million U.S. homes.

"You just lost 1 viewer," said Marsha Finkle. "I wonder how many more you are going to lose."

While the majority of comments were supportive of Deen, a few said the Food Network made the right decision.

Frank Rudd agrees with the decision to part ways with Deen, saying the comment "makes all Southerners look bad."

"I know the choice was tough with Paula but [I] think it was the right one," said Melissa Thayne. "First and foremost she is an American woman and ignorance like that should not be."

Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

• FOX & CNN News StoriesMore>>

CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Strangers drive away with family dog

Monday, August 21 2017 11:54 PM EDT2017-08-22 03:54:53 GMT
    Monday, August 21 2017 11:59 PM EDT2017-08-22 03:59:09 GMT
    A couple's little dog, who daily led their older, blind and deaf dog around the yard, was stolen from their yard. Surveillance captured it all. (Source: KFOR/CNN/Family handout/home surveillance video)A couple's little dog, who daily led their older, blind and deaf dog around the yard, was stolen from their yard. Surveillance captured it all. (Source: KFOR/CNN/Family handout/home surveillance video)

A couple's small dog - who acted as a guide dog for their blind and deaf older dog - was stolen from the driveway by someone who stopped and drove away with her. It's all on camera.

Chaos erupts at Charlottesville city council meeting

Monday, August 21 2017 11:34 PM EDT2017-08-22 03:34:03 GMT
    Monday, August 21 2017 11:34 PM EDT2017-08-22 03:34:03 GMT

Protesters interrupted the city council meeting several times, and some carried a large banner with the words "blood on your hands," in Charlottesville, VA.

Disabled woman turned away from handicap dressing room at Nordstrom

Monday, August 21 2017 9:13 PM EDT2017-08-22 01:13:20 GMT
    Monday, August 21 2017 9:13 PM EDT2017-08-22 01:13:20 GMT

“The woman told me it was reserved for mothers with strollers, and I asked her, since it wasn’t occupied and it does have a handicap sign, if I might use it, and she still told me no,” said Dani Darouse, who lost a leg after a motorcycle accident last year.