Deputies: Fire caused by "smoking device" - WFXG FOX54 Augusta - Your News One Hour Earlier

Deputies: Fire caused by "smoking device"

Posted: Updated:
Aiken County, SC (WFXG) -

UPDATE:

The Aiken County Sheriff's Office is conducting a fire investigation at 319 Indian Mound Road, Beech Island, SC at the request of the Fire Department. 

Sheriff's Investigators have discovered that the origin of the fire was in the bedroom and was caused by the careless discarding of a smoking device.  The fire was contained in the bedroom where it was started.

The victim, Theresa Bonner, was successfully rescued from the structure by the responding firefighters. Mrs. Bonner was transported to Doctor's Hospital where she is listed in stable but critical condition.  There is no criminal investigation being conducted.

The responding units were Beech Island Fire Department, Midland Valley Fire Department, Belvedere Fire Department, Silver Bluff Fire Department, Aiken County Sheriff's Office, and Aiken County EMS.

ORIGINAL STORY:

The Aiken County Sheriff's Office is conducting a fire investigation at a home near Beech Island.

At 5:20pm, ACSO received a 911 call about a structure fire at 319 Indian Drive. When first responders arrived, a witness told them he saw fire and smoke coming from the bedroom of a house. Fire crews were able to rescue a victim out of one of the home's windows.

Aiken County EMS transported the victim to the Doctor's Hospital burn unit.

Beech Island Fire Department, Midland Valley Fire Department, Belvedere Fire Department, Silver Bluff Fire Department, Aiken County Sheriff's Office, and Aiken County EMS all responded to the scene.

The investigation into the fire is still ongoing.

Powered by WorldNow