Nine residents of a North Augusta apartment complex lost everything Wednesday evening after what apartment officials said was caused by a grease fire on the first level of the building.
"They said that the grease was so hot that it just went up in a matter of minutes," said Property Manager Mary Montgomery.
Everyone made it safe out of the building safely, except for one.
"They did lose a puppy," said Montgomery. "They said the puppy was coming out and the puppy turned around for some reason and went back in and they couldn't get to him."
The property manager said the building was insured and that they do plan on rebuilding but unfortunately none of the renters had renters insurance which means they will not be compensated for their belongs lost in the fire; however she said that will change.
"From now on we will require each of our tenants to have renters insurance," said Montgomery.
She said it's an inexpensive cost for those priceless personal belongings.
"It's ten dollars a month and that would be well worth it because right now, our renters have absolutely nothing," said Montgomery.
And just 24 hours after it started, some are wondering how they will recover.
"I mean it's just a clean slate, we start all over and we go from here," said Patrick Spurgeon.
The Red Cross arranged for the victims to stay at a nearby hotel for three nights, in addition to an overwhelming support from the community.
"The community has come together," said Montgomery. "People have come out and donated food and clothes and money."
However, they still need donations.
If you would like to donate, please contact Mary Montgomery at (803) 645- 6450. Donations can be dropped off at 33 or 35 Conifer Court in North Augusta.
Below is a list of specific items that are needed:
Friday, August 29 2014 4:33 PM EDT2014-08-29 20:33:42 GMT
South Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating a fatal wreck on Gun Range Road, between Wire Road and Highway 1.Troopers responded just after 1 p.m, according to the SCHP database.Additional details areMore >>
The Aiken Co. Coroner's Office confirmed Willis L. Purvis, 55, was returning home on his Suzuki motorcycle when he lost control of it, and was ejected. More >>
Friday, August 29 2014 4:06 PM EDT2014-08-29 20:06:26 GMT
The Red Cross of Augusta is offering safety tips for this Labor Day weekend. Experts say if you're packing up and heading out of town, bring even the things you think you won't need just in case. "MakeMore >>
The Red Cross of Augusta is offering safety tips for this Labor Day weekend.More >>