Buena Vista parents seek schooling options, district steps up - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Buena Vista parents seek schooling options, local district steps up

BUENA VISTA TOWNSHIP, MI (WNEM) -

Frustration is setting in for parents as they wait to find out if their children will ever have class again in Buena Vista Schools.

"I don't like what's going on," said Taneesha Smith, a parent of a student.

Smith's daughter is a first-grader at Henry Dorr Elementary. She said her daughter wakes up every morning and wants to go to school.

"I'm going to have to transfer her out of Buena Vista. I have no choice. She can't just not be in school," said Smith.

Many parents TV5 has spoken with in the last few days have those exact thoughts. The district is not able to answer what the future holds, so some parents have taken matters into their own hands. Carrollton School Superintendent Dr. Craig Douglas said his schools have seats open.

"(I'll) do whatever I can, case by case basis. We've got the process for school of choice. That enrollment process is in place, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel. The wheel is there," said Douglas.

Douglas said parents can fill out school of choice applications, and if they meet the district's requirements and if they can accommodate, he's willing to work with them to get them in. On the county level, Saginaw Intermediate School District Superintendent Dr. Richard Syrek said his team is working on a plan to help.

"Seeing if there's a way that we can get these youngsters educated through the rest of this school year, that's all we're trying to do. The no. 1 item here, in fact the only item, is to get these students educated at least through the end of this year," said Syrek.

Right now, there's no solid plan in place. Smith said she hopes Buena Vista can open for the rest of the year, but said this year's going to be the last year her daughter will spend in this district.

"I'm done. I'm hoping right now they do open it back up so she can promote to the next grade, but then she's gone," said Smith.

Saginaw School District spokesperson tells TV5 Saginaw schools are waiting for the SISD to get a plan together before they accept students.

Copyright 2013 WNEM (Meredith Corporation.) All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Man, 30, whose parents sued him to move out, ordered by judge to leave home

    Man, 30, whose parents sued him to move out, ordered by judge to leave home

    Tuesday, May 22 2018 9:04 PM EDT2018-05-23 01:04:12 GMT
    Tuesday, May 22 2018 9:04 PM EDT2018-05-23 01:04:12 GMT
    Michael Rotondo called the ruling "outrageous." (Source: WSTM/CNN)Michael Rotondo called the ruling "outrageous." (Source: WSTM/CNN)

    The judge complimented Michael Rotondo, who represented himself, for his legal research, but ruled against him.

    More >>

    The judge complimented Michael Rotondo, who represented himself, for his legal research, but ruled against him.

    More >>
  • The Latest: Pompeo says NK could benefit from US investment

    The Latest: Pompeo says NK could benefit from US investment

    Tuesday, May 22 2018 10:32 AM EDT2018-05-22 14:32:52 GMT
    Tuesday, May 22 2018 9:04 PM EDT2018-05-23 01:04:01 GMT
    (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E). FILE - In this May 11, 2018, file photo, a news vendor counts her money near a stack of newspapers with a photo of U.S. President Donald Trump, right, and North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un on its front page  in Singapore. U.S. We...(AP Photo/Wong Maye-E). FILE - In this May 11, 2018, file photo, a news vendor counts her money near a stack of newspapers with a photo of U.S. President Donald Trump, right, and North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un on its front page in Singapore. U.S. We...

    President Donald Trump's meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is still weeks away, but a colorful commemorative coin of the two leaders is ready to go.

    More >>

    President Donald Trump's meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is still weeks away, but a colorful commemorative coin of the two leaders is ready to go.

    More >>
  • The princes, the president and the fortune seekers

    The princes, the president and the fortune seekers

    Tuesday, May 22 2018 12:13 AM EDT2018-05-22 04:13:57 GMT
    Tuesday, May 22 2018 9:03 PM EDT2018-05-23 01:03:26 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File). FILE - In this May 20, 2017, file photo, President Donald Trump shakes hands with Saudi Deputy Crown Prince and Defense Minister Mohammed bin Salman in Riyadh. In emails obtained by The Associated Press, George Nader claims...(AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File). FILE - In this May 20, 2017, file photo, President Donald Trump shakes hands with Saudi Deputy Crown Prince and Defense Minister Mohammed bin Salman in Riyadh. In emails obtained by The Associated Press, George Nader claims...

    A top Trump fundraiser and a senior adviser to a UAE crown prince ran a secretive campaign, trading lobbying against Qatar for defense contracts from Gulf countries.

    More >>

    A top Trump fundraiser and a senior adviser to a UAE crown prince ran a secretive campaign, trading lobbying against Qatar for defense contracts from Gulf countries.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly