FBI loses track of man investigated in poisoned letters - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

FBI loses track of man investigated in poisoned letters

Officers searched this Itawamba  home for Dutschke. Nothing was found. Officers searched this Itawamba home for Dutschke. Nothing was found.
Itawamba County Sheriff Chris Dickinson. Itawamba County Sheriff Chris Dickinson.
Dutschke's martial arts studio in Tupelo Dutschke's martial arts studio in Tupelo

(WMC-TV) - Authorities have searched a Mississippi home in an ongoing investigation into a Tupelo man considered a person of interest in the mailing of tainted letters to President Barack Obama and Sen. Roger Wicker.

"Mr. Dutschke is a person of interest, I don't think he's a suspect in this, they're keeping tabs on him," said Itawamba County Sheriff Chris Dickinson.

The FBI said they lost track of James Everett Dutschke, 41, of Tupelo Wednesday night.

A search was conducted at a residence owned by Kirk Kitchens' family Thursday.

Kitchens said Dutschke is his child's martial arts instructor, and that he helped Dutschke escape cameras after the search.

"I slipped him down Twenty Bottom [Road] and got him to a rendezvous point where somebody came and just picked him up so he could be away from the media," said Kitchens.

Investigators had permission from the family to search the home and said they found nothing. Kitchens said he has talked to the FBI.

"I've I talked to them this morning and he's not wanted. I'm not wanted," said Kitchens.

Dutschke's lawyer said they are in contact with the FBI and that they know where he is. This after the Itawamba County Sheriff claimed Dutschke slipped away Wednesday. According to the attorney, Dutschke hasn't been called in for questioning as of Thursday.

Dutschke was of interest following the dismissal of charges filed in federal court against Paul Kevin Curtis, 45, of Corinth earlier this week.

Copyright 2013 WTVA. All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • APNewsBreak: Youngest migrants held in 'tender age' shelters

    APNewsBreak: Youngest migrants held in 'tender age' shelters

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 9:12 PM EDT2018-06-20 01:12:25 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 1:26 PM EDT2018-06-20 17:26:50 GMT
    Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

    Migrant babies and young children are being held in special "tender age" shelters after being taken from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

    More >>

    Migrant babies and young children are being held in special "tender age" shelters after being taken from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

    More >>
  • Trump says he'll be 'signing something' on detained children

    Trump says he'll be 'signing something' on detained children

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:21 AM EDT2018-06-20 15:21:21 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 1:23 PM EDT2018-06-20 17:23:13 GMT
    A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility Tuesday in McAllen, TX. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility Tuesday in McAllen, TX. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

    Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen is drafting an executive action for President Donald Trump that would direct DHS to keep families apprehended at the border together during detention and ask the...

    More >>

    Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen is drafting an executive action for President Donald Trump that would direct DHS to keep families apprehended at the border together during detention and ask the Department of Defense to help house them.

    More >>
  • Pro wrestler Big Van Vader dies at 63

    Pro wrestler Big Van Vader dies at 63

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:59 AM EDT2018-06-20 15:59:50 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 1:21 PM EDT2018-06-20 17:21:15 GMT

    Big Van Vader was a pro wrestling star in the U.S. and Japan.

    More >>

    Big Van Vader was a pro wrestling star in the U.S. and Japan.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly