UPDATE: A house fire in Aiken leaves one
dead and a neighborhood in shock and wondering how it happened.
Words can't explain how people
are feeling in the neighborhood on Columbia Avenue after one of their neighbors
perished in Thursday's early morning fire.
"The smoke was coming out
and I tried to kick through the front door," said Byron Daniel.
Daniel lives down the street, his
father is the landlord of the home that burned and when he saw the house in
flames, he tried to save the man who he believed was inside.
"The police grabbed me back
and told me don't go in," said Daniel.
Aiken Department of Public Safety
responded to the scene only to find a body inside.
"It's just a tragedy,"
Family and friends told FOX54 the
man who lived there was 71 year old Thomas Jerome Butler. They are devastated
by this loss but friends say he will not be forgotten.
"He loved to tell jokes, he
was very comical," said El.
"We always had a good
conversation," said Eberett Dorch.
SLED officials were investigating
the scene all morning. They said the house was so badly burned that they are
not able to determine the exact cause of fire. However, they said they do not suspect
any criminal activity.
"It's just a family member
gone," said El.
A family member gone without much
explanation; neighbors said they aren't even sure what could have caused the
fire but said the man did not have electricity and he was last seen on
Wednesday using a kerosene lamp.
"We can't dwell on that he's
gone, we have to think about the happy things," said El.
Holding on to those happier times
is certainly what this neighborhood is embracing after such a tragedy.
No one else was hurt from the fire. The Aiken
Count Coroner's Office said the man had only lived there for two weeks.
ORIGINAL: South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) is investigating a deadly house fire on the 400 block of Columbia Avenue.
Aiken Department of Public Safety deputies responded the burning home around 12:04 a.m. on Thursday and found the deceased residence inside.
Aiken County Coroner has not yet released the identity of the victim. No word yet on how the fire was started.
FOX54 will continue to follow this developing story.
Saturday, August 30 2014 7:17 PM EDT2014-08-30 23:17:41 GMT
A nine-year-old girl accidentally shot and killed her instructor at a shooting range in Arizona earlier this week, and now people are wondering what the right age is for kids to be shooting guns. BuddyMore >>
After a nine year old girl accidentally shot and killed her instructor at a shooting range in Arizona, local shooting range owners and experienced shooters talk about safety measures when out shooting a gun.More >>
Friday, August 29 2014 4:33 PM EDT2014-08-29 20:33:42 GMT
South Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating a fatal wreck on Gun Range Road, between Wire Road and Highway 1.Troopers responded just after 1 p.m, according to the SCHP database.Additional details areMore >>
The Aiken Co. Coroner's Office confirmed Willis L. Purvis, 55, was returning home on his Suzuki motorcycle when he lost control of it, and was ejected. More >>
3933 Washington Road
Augusta, GA 30907