Standoff ends with man in custody, no one hurt - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Standoff ends with man in custody, no one hurt

Adrian police blocked off street while negotiating with subject (Photo Courtesy: John Uhl) Adrian police blocked off street while negotiating with subject (Photo Courtesy: John Uhl)
Authorities negotiating outside of subject's home (Photo courtesy: Noah Laws) Authorities negotiating outside of subject's home (Photo courtesy: Noah Laws)
Armed authorities in Adrian monitoring stand off situation (Photo Courtesy: Noah Law) Armed authorities in Adrian monitoring stand off situation (Photo Courtesy: Noah Law)
ADRIAN, MI (Toledo News Now) -

An unidentified Adrian, Michigan man is in custody after a lengthy, tense police stand-off Saturday that lasted 14 hours.

It began Saturday morning around 2:00 at 106 Renfrew Avenue.

Police received a call about a suicidal man inside.

Crews arrived, learning he was alone but armed.

Adrian Police and the Michigan State Police made contact with the man who was holed up in a basement and had fired at least one shot.

Next door neighbor Noah Laws says he saw a SWAT team truck arrive with members poised to make their move.

Tear gas canisters had already pierced the home's windows.

"He was always the greatest neighbor you could ask for. Minded his own business," said Mr. Laws.

Authorities sent a robot inside the house but the man shot it to pieces.

There was no more communication with him.

Meanwhile, relatives of the man, who asked not to be identified, began showing up, worried about his safety.

"My brother is the type of person who would give you the shirt off his back," said ‘Greg.'

"He's an honest person though. Don't know what got into him. He's my uncle. I love him," said ‘Dakota.'

Another robot equipped with a camera went inside the house and confirmed the man was still in the basement.

A police dog entered the house, followed by the SWAT team and the man was taken into custody.

He was dazed and confused.

"Had problems with drinking years ago. He got sober. Just started drinking again," said ‘Greg.'

Charges are pending against the man.

Police say he's been taken to a local hospital for evaluation.

Copyright 2013 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Zimbabwe leader calls assassination attempt 'cowardly act'

    Zimbabwe leader calls assassination attempt 'cowardly act'

    Saturday, June 23 2018 9:45 AM EDT2018-06-23 13:45:14 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 3:06 AM EDT2018-06-24 07:06:59 GMT
    Zimbabwe state media report explosion at president's campaign rally; Mnangagwa not hurt. (Source: AP Photos)Zimbabwe state media report explosion at president's campaign rally; Mnangagwa not hurt. (Source: AP Photos)

    Zimbabwe state media report explosion at president's campaign rally; Mnangagwa not hurt.

    More >>

    Zimbabwe state media report explosion at president's campaign rally; Mnangagwa not hurt.

    More >>
  • Saudi women are now driving as longstanding ban ends

    Saudi women are now driving as longstanding ban ends

    Saturday, June 23 2018 5:26 PM EDT2018-06-23 21:26:38 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 3:06 AM EDT2018-06-24 07:06:56 GMT
    (AP Photo/Nariman El-Mofty). In this June 23, 2018 photo, 34-year old Asmaa al-Assdmi poses for a photograph holding her new car license at the Saudi Driving School inside Princess Nora University in Saudi Arabia.(AP Photo/Nariman El-Mofty). In this June 23, 2018 photo, 34-year old Asmaa al-Assdmi poses for a photograph holding her new car license at the Saudi Driving School inside Princess Nora University in Saudi Arabia.
    Saudi women are in the driver's seat for the first time in their country and steering their way through busy city streets just minutes after the world's last remaining ban on women driving was lifted.More >>
    Saudi women are in the driver's seat for the first time in their country and steering their way through busy city streets just minutes after the world's last remaining ban on women driving was lifted.More >>
  • Administration seeks to expand immigrant family detention

    Administration seeks to expand immigrant family detention

    Saturday, June 23 2018 12:26 AM EDT2018-06-23 04:26:10 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 3:14 AM EDT2018-06-24 07:14:12 GMT
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...(AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...(AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...

    The Trump administration is calling for the expanded use of family detention for immigrant parents and children who are stopped along the U.S.-Mexico border.

    More >>

    The Trump administration is calling for the expanded use of family detention for immigrant parents and children who are stopped along the U.S.-Mexico border.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly