Crockett woman writes memoir about 40 year prison sentence, drug - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Crockett woman writes memoir about 40 year prison sentence, drug addiction

CROCKETT, TX (KTRE) -

An East Texas woman's miraculous story of survival after she was sentenced to forty years in prison for alcohol and drug addiction has hit bookstores all over the country.

A daughter of an Evangelical pastor, Janie Burkett, lived a life in God's footsteps until she was raped at the age of sixteen.

"It was really hard for me because I felt so dirty and why did that happen? God you, what is going on here? What's, why aren't you protecting me?" Burkett said.

Disgusted with herself, Burkett, who weighed 200 pounds at the time, wanted to wash away her pain.

"I made myself throw up all the time and I realized I was losing weight and I thought that's it," Burkett said.

After finding comfort inside the dark world of sex and drugs, Burkett was arrested at the age of 21.

"I was afraid. I had never been arrested before. I had been running dope and been involved with the drug cartel and 'Ms. Bad' or whatever, but the first time you get popped away and you get put in jail, you're like 'woah, this is really. This is real,'" Burkett said.

By the time Burkett was arrested the third time, she had a million-and-a-half dollar bond with 17 charges against her.

After 11 months on parole, Burkett found herself in front of the judge again and was sentenced to 40 years in prison for breaking her probation.

"I had lost myself in the midst of it and become this person I did not want to be. I had become a criminal. A criminal! A hard born criminal and that's not me," Burkett said.

But Burkett says God was on her side. She was released to a 13-month recovery program called Teen Challenge after serving only six weeks in prison.

Now at 28 years old, Burkett has finally faced her demons through her memoir Unshackled, A Road to Freedom.

"These young kids who are running dope don't realize that it will lead you down a life you don't want to go down. I mean you don't want to spend the rest of your life in prison."

Unshackled can be purchased on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. To contact Burkett, visit her web site.

The Latest: Barbara Bush buried at presidential library

Saturday, April 21 2018 10:44 AM EDT2018-04-21 14:44:47 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 8:37 AM EDT2018-04-22 12:37:44 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.

Guests have begun to arrive at St. Martin's Church in Houston for the funeral of former first lady Barbara Bush.

Laughter, tears as former first lady Barbara Bush remembered

Saturday, April 21 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-04-21 04:04:04 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 8:37 AM EDT2018-04-22 12:37:32 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.

As the outpouring of tributes continues for Barbara Bush, the general public can pay its respects to the former first lady.

Man killed in random knife attack at California steakhouse

Saturday, April 21 2018 5:44 AM EDT2018-04-21 09:44:08 GMT
    Sunday, April 22 2018 8:37 AM EDT2018-04-22 12:37:11 GMT
    (Ventura County District Attorney's Office via AP). This undated photo provided by the Ventura County District Attorney's Office shows Jamal Jackson. The homeless man has been charged with murder in a random stabbing attack in which a man was killed wh...(Ventura County District Attorney's Office via AP). This undated photo provided by the Ventura County District Attorney's Office shows Jamal Jackson. The homeless man has been charged with murder in a random stabbing attack in which a man was killed wh...

A homeless man has been charged with murder in the death of a California father who was stabbed in the neck as his 5-year-old daughter sat in his lap in a crowded beachside steakhouse.