Parks to be named after 26 victims of Sandy Hook shooting - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Parks to be named after 26 victims of Sandy Hook shooting

NEWTOWN, CT (WFSB) -

There are expected to be 26 playgrounds to be built across Connecticut, New York and New Jersey that will be named and designed in honor of the victims of Sandy Hook.

The playgrounds will be built by New Jersey's Firefighters Union as part of the recovery after Adam Lanza shot and killed his mother at their home, then went to Sandy Hook Elementary School and killed 26 children and adults on Dec. 14.

New Jersey Firefighters Mutual Benevolent Association President Bill Lavin said the hope is for Sandy Hook to have the largest memorial including all who were lost here.

Lavin told Eyewitness News that he has spoken with 20 of 26 families and most were grateful, according to testimonies on the association's website.

A playground for teacher Vicki Soto will be built in her hometown of Stratford, and one for Noah Pozner will be constructed in the Rockaway section of Queens near his grandfather's home.

New Jersey's Firefighters Union said the project will cost about $2.1 million to build all the playgrounds, and so far $300,000 has been raised.

People in Newtown reacted to the announcement on the playgrounds.

"I think it's a great idea. wonderful," said Donna Vanwaalwick. "The whole country and the whole world has been very generous with Newtown."

People can donate by clicking the following link.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • NEWSMore>>

  • Sanders says she was told to leave Virginia restaurant

    Sanders says she was told to leave Virginia restaurant

    Saturday, June 23 2018 11:48 AM EDT2018-06-23 15:48:09 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 5:36 PM EDT2018-06-23 21:36:49 GMT
    White House press secretary Sarah Sanders acknowledges in a tweet that she was asked to leave a Virginia restaurant Friday night. (Source: AP Photos)White House press secretary Sarah Sanders acknowledges in a tweet that she was asked to leave a Virginia restaurant Friday night. (Source: AP Photos)

    White House press secretary Sarah Sanders acknowledges in a tweet that she was asked to leave a Virginia restaurant Friday night.

    More >>

    White House press secretary Sarah Sanders acknowledges in a tweet that she was asked to leave a Virginia restaurant Friday night.

    More >>
  • Administration seeks to expand immigrant family detention

    Administration seeks to expand immigrant family detention

    Saturday, June 23 2018 12:26 AM EDT2018-06-23 04:26:10 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 5:36 PM EDT2018-06-23 21:36:00 GMT
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...(AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...
    (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...(AP Photo/Eric Gay, File). FILE - In this July 31, 2014, file photo, an artificial turf soccer field sits in the middle of the Karnes County Residential Center in Karnes City, Texas. The immigration detention facility has been retooled to house adults ...

    The Trump administration is calling for the expanded use of family detention for immigrant parents and children who are stopped along the U.S.-Mexico border.

    More >>

    The Trump administration is calling for the expanded use of family detention for immigrant parents and children who are stopped along the U.S.-Mexico border.

    More >>
  • US moves 100 coffins to inter-Korean border for war remains

    US moves 100 coffins to inter-Korean border for war remains

    Saturday, June 23 2018 5:16 AM EDT2018-06-23 09:16:27 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 5:35 PM EDT2018-06-23 21:35:50 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon, File). FILE- In this May 14, 1999, file photo, U.N. honor guards carry a coffin containing the remains of the American soldiers after it was returned from North Korea at the border village of Panmunjom, South Korea. South Kore...(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon, File). FILE- In this May 14, 1999, file photo, U.N. honor guards carry a coffin containing the remains of the American soldiers after it was returned from North Korea at the border village of Panmunjom, South Korea. South Kore...

    The U.S. military says it is moving "assets" to a U.S. air base near South Korea's capital and to the inter-Korean border to prepare for North Korea's returning of the remains of U.S. soldiers who have been missing...

    More >>

    The U.S. military says it is moving "assets" to a U.S. air base near South Korea's capital and to the inter-Korean border to prepare for North Korea's returning of the remains of U.S. soldiers who have been missing since the 1950-53 Korean War.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly