Thursday, January 17 2013 5:32 PM EST2013-01-17 22:32:14 GMT
Hundreds of students at a north Nashville charter school returned to class Thursday for the first time since dozens of them got sick from carbon monoxide poisoning earlier this week. Officials at DrexelMore >>
Hundreds of students at a north Nashville charter school returned to class Thursday for the first time since dozens of them got sick from carbon monoxide poisoning earlier this week.More >>
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -
Carbon monoxide can take your life in a matter of minutes, yet there are no laws in Tennessee requiring protection against it. However, after the Channel 4 I-Team got involved, at least one city leader plans a fight to change that.
Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the "silent killer." It has no odor, taste or color, and without a detector, it may be impossible to detect a leak before it's too late.
The Channel 4 I-Team has been investigating ever since dozens of Nashville children were hospitalized in January after a leak at their school.
More than 40 students survived that carbon monoxide leak from a busted heating unit at Drexel Academy.
Smoke alarms are required in Nashville schools and homes, but carbon monoxide detectors are not, and Metro Councilman Scott Davis said he knows all too well what the students' parents went through.
"I have had an unfortunate experience recently with my own child," said Davis.
Thankfully, Davis' daughter is OK after being hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning. Now, Davis wants an ordinance passed requiring detectors in Nashville's public buildings.
"Looking at ways to require schools and other public buildings that use gas to have carbon monoxide detectors so that none of these other tragedies can happen again," said Davis.
The state doesn't require carbon monoxide detectors in schools.
Drexel had carbon monoxide detectors installed at the time the students became ill, but they were not located in the classrooms where the children got sick. And those alarms eventually sounded, but it wasn't until hours after the school had already been evacuated when officials originally believed the students were sick with the flu.
More than 40 students were admitted to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, where they spent the next 23 hours hooked up to oxygen tanks as a precaution.
The school has since installed carbon monoxide detectors throughout the building, which is something officials with the Nashville Fire Department would like to see in buildings across the city.
When Drexel installed those new carbon monoxide detectors, several Channel 4 News viewers noticed those detectors should've been installed lower on the wall. So, the I-Team checked in to it.
Fire officials said some carbon monoxide detectors should be installed at knee height and others at approximately two-feet below the ceiling.
The best advice is to follow the instructions that come with the individual detector.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Thursday, May 23 2013 4:38 PM EDT2013-05-23 20:38:55 GMT
For 12 years Denise Glasford's sister fought in the Army, but died last year on Memorial Day. "Thinking about her and wishing she was still here with us," Glasford said. "It's been a tough year for the family." GlasfordMore >>
Glasford and her niece and nephew are three of dozens of family members paying tribute to soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice. Here at Fort Gordon's Warrior Remembrance Memorial Day Ceremony, they're honoring those killed, and remembering those they left behind. Soldiers say the national holiday is much more than a day off from work to barbeque and celebrate.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 3:16 PM EDT2013-05-23 19:16:52 GMT
Ryan David Jones/Source: RCSO
Friends and neighbors now say the Jones Family, Edna, Roosevelt, and Russell, are the victims of a suspected triple homicide in South Augusta.The Richmond County Sheriff's Office has been investigatingMore >>
The Richmond County Sheriff Office has charged Ryan David Jones with 3 counts of Murder and Possession of a Firearm during the Commission of a Crime.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 8:10 AM EDT2013-05-23 12:10:07 GMT
The images we're seeing in Oklahoma having a heavy impact on viewers around the country and here in the CSRA. Lindsay Findley says she was heartbroken when she found out about it. "It's just so sad toMore >>
Thirty disaster relief volunteers and vehicles have been sent to Oklahoma; three of them from the Palmetto region. And at any moment, volunteers with the Aiken chapter could be deployed.More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 11:34 PM EDT2013-05-23 03:34:56 GMT
Susan Swanson owns the Augusta Care Pregnancy Center on Broad Street. There is a two hour limited parking sign in front of her company but she says no one enforces it. The parking limit downtown has beenMore >>
Susan Swanson owns the Augusta Care Pregnancy Center on Broad Street. There is a two hour limited parking sign in front of her company but she says no one enforces it.More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 11:20 PM EDT2013-05-23 03:20:40 GMT
A vigil for the family members killed in a suspected triple homicide was held at the Augusta Deliverance Evangelical Church Wednesday night. The vigil for Roosevelt Jones, Edna Jones and their son Russell JonesMore >>
A vigil for the family members killed in a suspected triple homicide was held at the Augusta Deliverance Evangelical Church Wednesday night.More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 8:42 PM EDT2013-05-23 00:42:44 GMT
It's been two days since a tornado ripped through Moore, Ok nearly destroying the town along with two schools; now one local school is re-evaluating their safety plans. Even though it's the last weekMore >>
It's been two days since a tornado ripped through Moore, Ok nearly destroying the town along with two schools; now one local school is re-evaluating their safety plans. More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 8:39 PM EDT2013-05-23 00:39:09 GMT
Mobility, the company that runs Augusta's Public Transit, is now suing the city after the Richmond County Commission voted to terminate their five year contract. Mobility's attorney Robert Mullins toldMore >>
Mobility, the company that runs Augusta's Public Transit, is now suing the city after the Richmond County Commission voted to terminate their five year contract.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 10:53 PM EDT2013-05-22 02:53:51 GMT
Family, friends and fellow officers said goodbye to Deputy Alton Creech Tuesday morning. A funeral was held at First Baptist Church on Walton Way. Deputy Creech crashed his motorcycle on I-20, lastMore >>
Hundreds attend the funeral of Deputy Allen Creech.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 10:51 PM EDT2013-05-22 02:51:46 GMT
Carole Timmerman lives on Ferree Place in Graniteville and after a severe storm rolled through Aiken County Tuesday, she had to watch where she stepped. "It's horrible, it's so dangerous," said TimmermanMore >>
Aiken County Emergency Management officials say there were wind gusts up to 80 miles per hour. The strong winds uprooted trees, caused power lines to fall and tore into homes. More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 10:30 PM EDT2013-05-22 02:30:22 GMT
Patrons may lose a popular shopping area in Aiken. The Aiken Mall has been foreclosed after the owner stopped making payments on the interest of the property in April.The Aiken County clerk of courts sayMore >>
Patrons may lose a popular shopping area in Aiken. The Aiken Mall has been foreclosed after the owner stopped making payments on the interest of the property in April.More >>