RIGHT NOW: Two dead following police chase in Burke County - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now


RIGHT NOW: Two dead following police chase in Burke County


As they stand at the final resting place of their loved ones, family members are trying to make sense of what happened after a fatal police chase early Saturday morning in Girard.

"I was shocked more than anything, because you know you don't expect to hear anything like this, especially about your kids' father," said Chantel Dixon, she's the mother of the driver's three children.

Investigators said Antonio Brigham, 36 and Harold Hilton, 66, were both killed on Glisson Road. Sardis Police say Officer Mark Gatlin tried to pull over Brigham in his gold Pontiac Bonneville in Sardis. Investigators say the officer saw the car weaving on Highway 23, and suspected a DUI. Police say Brigham failed to stop, leading Officer Gatlin on a police chase into Girard.

The chase ended in the middle of Glisson Road, which stretches for two miles between Creek Road and Claxton Road. That's where police say the driver lost control of the car. The impact was so great they say EMA had to use the Jaws of Life for nearly an hour to get both victims out of the car. Burke County paramedics say both Brigham and Hilton died from blunt force trauma.

Police say Brigham was driving with a suspended license.

And as Georgia State Patrol continues to investigate the crash, both families are trying to find a way to cope.

"Right now I'm kind of going around in like a circle, but I'm asking God to strengthen me, and give me health and strength to go on forward," said Katherine Hilton, one of the victim's sisters.

Original Story

Two men are dead following the second fatal police chase in a week in the CSRA.

The Sardis Police Department tells FOX54 that Antonio Dontie Brigham, 36, and Harold Edward Hilton, 66, were in a vehicle that was allegedly weaving on the road and suspected to have an intoxicated driver behind the wheel. They failed to stop when Sardis Police attempted to stop them.

The two men allegedly led the chase around Sardis, then outside city limits towards Girard. The men eventually turned down a dirt road, Glisson Road, where they "lost control" and "wrapped around a large tree."

Brigham and Hilton both died due to blunt force trauma. Burke County EMA crews worked for over an hour with the jaws of life to try to pull the men out of the vehicle.

Brigham was apparently the driver, though his license was suspended and vehicle uninsured.

This fatal police chase is the second in a week across our area. Earlier this week, two drivers were killed when they led Richmond County deputies across state lines and into South Carolina.

Sardis Police Chief Gary Jones says the responding officer "followed policy and procedure."

Powered by Frankly