Local mailman stays on the job, fighting cancer - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Mailman stays on the job while fighting cancer

SULPHUR, LA (KPLC) -

The motto for the U.S. post office reads: "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

But 43-year-old David Lindgren, of Sulphur, adds that stage four cancer won't stop him either.

"In February (of 2012) I was diagnosed with cancer. It was located where my stomach and esophagus met," Lindgren said.

After several bouts of chemotherapy and radiation, Lindgren had the cancer surgically removed. But it wasn't over.

"A few months later, I noticed a lump on my chest. Doctors sent it off and found out it was cancerous and that I had more cancerous lymph nodes," he said.

Today, he continues to fight the stage 4 cancer that doctors say is incurable but treatable.  When he's not at work delivering the mail, he's in his third week of chemotherapy treatments.

"I love my job. I love the people. I just love delivering the mail. It's customer service at its finest," Lindgren said.

He admits though that it's hard sometimes but says he has to do what he has to do. He works with a feeding tube in a book bag on his back and a smile on his face.

"My God is bigger than any disease," he said. "My faith in Him, my family and my amazing support system is what gets me through."

Copyright 2013 KPLC. All rights reserved.

Trump: GOP health bill short of votes before deadline

Wednesday, September 20 2017 4:24 AM EDT2017-09-20 08:24:59 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 11:16 PM EDT2017-09-21 03:16:20 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., speaks to the media, accompanied by Senate Majority Whip Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky., on Capitol H...(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., speaks to the media, accompanied by Senate Majority Whip Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky., on Capitol H...

In a sign he remained short of votes, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell refused on Tuesday to commit to bringing the legislation up for a vote.

Mexico quake rescuers race to free girl, other survivors

Wednesday, September 20 2017 2:33 AM EDT2017-09-20 06:33:01 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 11:11 PM EDT2017-09-21 03:11:31 GMT

The earthquake struck on the 32nd anniversary of a 1985 temblor that killed thousands and came just two hours after earthquake drills were held across Mexico to mark the date.

Maria destroys homes, triggers flooding in Puerto Rico

Wednesday, September 20 2017 3:55 AM EDT2017-09-20 07:55:20 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 11:07 PM EDT2017-09-21 03:07:20 GMT

Hurricane Maria ties for the eighth strongest storm in Atlantic history, when measured by wind speed.