Family upset by treatment from chemical plant after father was f - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Family upset by treatment from chemical plant after father was found dead


It has been one week since Isiah Scott was found dead; for the family members he's left behind it's been a week filled with pain.

"It has been us trying to pick the pieces up but we haven't found all of them yet, it's been the worst week of our lives since this happened," said Andreana, Scott's daughter.

Scott was found unconscious on top of a railroad car holding molton sulfur last Saturday.

His wife Mary said he worked in the chemical industry for the last 20 years and he worked for General Chemical, the plant where he was found dead, for 2 years.

At Scott's memorial service Saturday, the line stretched out the door and led to a room so packed it was standing room only.

The crowded room was filled with Scott's family, co-workers and friends who say he was a man of good character who passed on too soon.

"He did whatever he could, even if he didn't have it, he always did what he could, he had a very good heart," said Scott's son Gregory.

His passing has been especially difficult for Mary, his wife of 41 years.  She says she is still searching for closure because she has not been able to see him one last time.

"I was told I cannot see him until after the autopsy, so I was not able to go down and identify him and that hurt more than anything," Mary Scott, said.    

Officials still don't know why Scott died. Richmond County deputies say he had a medical condition that may have been a factor; and the coroner says Scott may have died of natural causes or inhaled a poisonous substance. He was wearing appropriate safety gear.  

Mary Scott said she hasn't heard from his employer, "We have not had a condolence expressed, none at all. We have not heard from anyone other than the other man he was working with on the day of his death. That hurts very, very much."

Phone calls to the plant manager have not been returned.

The GBI is looking into the cause of death; the process could take up to 20 weeks.

Occupation, Safety and Health Administration is also investigating and they are still waiting for Scott's autopsy and toxicology results.

Powered by Frankly