Silver's statement: 'I asked for no delay in Board action' - WFXG FOX 54 - News Now

Silver's statement: 'I asked for no delay in Board action'

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) -

The Alabama State University Board of Trustees met Friday morning to determine what action to take with regard to the recent allegations, brought up by Dr. Joseph Silver, of contract irregularities at ASU.

At the meeting, the board chose not to take immediate action against Dr. Silver due to his mother's recent death. They also voted to accept a resolution to allow an external, independent audit of ASU contacts.  Additionally, the board voted to approve the appointment of former ASU president Dr. William Harris as Interim President.

Dr. Joseph Silver released the following statement in response to ASU Board of Trustees meeting:

While I appreciate the sentiments of the Governor and the board of Trustees regarding the passing of my mother I expressly communicated to the board through my attorneys that matters to my personal status not be delayed because of her death.  I did however ask for a delay of action in order to exercise the due process clause of my contract.

Further, I am concerned with the Board's action appointing an Interim President. This action is premature. However, I was pleased with the Governor's request of an outside independent auditor. I look forward to meeting with the auditors to respond to any questions they may have.  I will continue to work to address all matters relating to these issues.

Also, I have noted through the various news outlets that some of my public assertions have been validated. It is my hope that in the coming weeks this matter will be fully resolved such that Alabama State University can focus on the business of educating students, facilitating faculty and staff, work in partnering with the alumni in the community on behalf of the institution.

I want to thank the faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community for huge amount of support that has been given to me. I am appreciative of and humbled by their show of support.

Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News.  All rights reserved.

Trump travel ban is focus of Supreme Court's last arguments

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:49 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:49:52 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 6:49 AM EDT2018-04-25 10:49:15 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jessica Gresko). In this April 23, 2018, photo, people wait in line outside the Supreme Court in Washington, to be in the gallery when the court hears arguments in on April 25, over President Donald Trump’s ban on travelers from several mostl...(AP Photo/Jessica Gresko). In this April 23, 2018, photo, people wait in line outside the Supreme Court in Washington, to be in the gallery when the court hears arguments in on April 25, over President Donald Trump’s ban on travelers from several mostl...

The Supreme Court is saving one of its biggest cases for last, weighing President Donald Trump's ban on travelers from several mostly Muslim countries.

Goose attacks high school golfer

Wednesday, April 25 2018 6:31 AM EDT2018-04-25 10:31:20 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 6:47 AM EDT2018-04-25 10:47:45 GMT
    Photos of a protective goose attacking a 16-year-old golfer in Michigan have been making the rounds online. (Source: WDIV/CNN)Photos of a protective goose attacking a 16-year-old golfer in Michigan have been making the rounds online. (Source: WDIV/CNN)

Lax vetting on Trump nominees begins to frustrate senators

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:47 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:47:40 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 6:40 AM EDT2018-04-25 10:40:49 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). CIA director Mike Pompeo and his wife Susan Pompeo arrive for a State Dinner with French President Emmanuel Macron and President Donald Trump at the White House, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, in Washington.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). CIA director Mike Pompeo and his wife Susan Pompeo arrive for a State Dinner with French President Emmanuel Macron and President Donald Trump at the White House, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, in Washington.

As President Donald Trump's pick to lead Veterans Affairs skids to a halt, senators from both parties are voicing frustration that the White House is skipping crucial vetting of nominees and leaving lawmakers to clean up the mess.